F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - Honda Transom Wheels bit of a joke! Roll out the Rollers!

Honda Transom Wheels bit of a joke! Roll out the Rollers!

Soft Floor Inflatable Boats

Honda Transom Wheels bit of a joke! Roll out the Rollers!

Postby Jimthehook » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:40 pm

So I've used my Honda transom wheels now about a dozen times and only to haul very short distances on a concrete slipway. nothing nasty no off roading or anything wild!! The holes that the pins drop into have started to elongate pretty badly causing the legs to wobble about like a drunken sailor and making the T32 tip over onto its side on a few occasions now. Considering these were £200 I was expecting much much more, the sales people at the shop were very insistent that they would be able to handle the 38kg of the motor plus the boat as they are rated at 100kg max load.

So long term these are not going to work out, yes the shop will probably offer me replacements as they are an excellent vendor but I will just end up in the same boat again (pun intended!). So onto some boat rollers! As a kid we sailed wayfarers and kestrels etc and always used rollers, they would roll over anything including rocks large pebbles, deep sand etc so I figured why not for the Honwave, they turned up today so we shall see how that works out on my next outing. They are rated at 400kg each so plenty for my needs!

Do any of you sibers use rollers? Is this a bad idea? let me know your thoughts and experiences and any other advise. I was also looking at launch trolleys but a trolley would just add more stuff to an already heavily packed car and yet another item to get me in trouble with the Mrs!!!.

:cheers Jim.
Attachments
20171114_134112.jpg
20171114_134125.jpg
Jimthehook

Boat Make: Honwave T32IE
Outboard: Mercury 9.9fs
MMSI Number: 10

Re: Honda Transom Wheels bit of a joke! Roll out the Rollers

Postby Si Crowe » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:59 pm

to be fair, rollers work great but are labour intensive. all the extra blowing up, deflating and the running around moving from stern to bow. it's a team effort.

I'd just jet a folding launching trolly. will take a load up to 160kg. just adapt the rear supports. jobs a goodun.
90305-3.jpg
If it has t*ts, tyres or floats......it's gonna cost ya!
Si Crowe
Veteran Member

Boat Make: DS110 & Seago 240 SIB
Outboard: 2xPerkins Sabres 225HP, 4HP Suzuki 2Stroke
MMSI Number: 0

Postby Martin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi Jim, sorry to hear you’re having issues with the wheels.. :no
We try and push the aftermarket over 100kg rated launch wheels on here because of the problems you’re having. The upto 100kg wheels are crap to put it bluntly.
A launch trailer can be handy I’ve used mine quite a bit. I also have boat rollers but never needed them as yet.
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:
Martin
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75s
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi (2016)
MMSI Number: 123456789

Postby Jimthehook » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Thanks for the reply Si, I have looked long and hard at a trolley and would love one but it would mean I have to launch the sib then leave the Mrs with the sib in the water whilst I go and park the car or get the car and trolley for recovery etc and at a few places we go thats a 10 min walk back, and she is not happy to be left in charge of the sib in the water as our main slip (Exmouth) has no tie off points and has a very very strong tidal run so we just like to launch and go. So i needed a solution similar to the wheels that could just come with us, to be fair they only take 30 secs each to inflate with the foot pump that we always carry just incase and even less time to deflate. Its an ongoing process i spose ironing out the kinks till i get a system that works for our needs! Also I think the rollers may open up new launch points that the transom wheels couldn't run over. :cheers
Jimthehook

Postby Jimthehook » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:14 pm

:thumbsup Thanks Martin, its an ongoing thing I spose getting all my ducks in a row, and with the t32 having the trim tabs at the back prevents me from getting some decent aftermarket type wheels that drop straight down. Just a bit miffed at dropping £200 on wheels that seem to be softer than cheese!
Jimthehook

Postby Si Crowe » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Jimthehook wrote::thumbsup Thanks Martin, its an ongoing thing I spose getting all my ducks in a row, and with the t32 having the trim tabs at the back prevents me from getting some decent aftermarket type wheels that drop straight down. Just a bit miffed and dropping £200 on wheels that seem to be softer than cheese!

200 billies is steep and i feel your pain..... for that amount of brass i'd bloody want top quality!!!

it's a tough one to answer with any authority as i don't know your usual launch sites and so on.

the limitations of the transom / trim tab issues makes it very hard on you.
Si Crowe
Veteran Member

Postby Jimthehook » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:20 pm

This is the tide run that waits for us at the bottom of the slip.....the green slippery slip!!!!

Jimthehook

Postby The Gurnard » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:25 pm

Naw..they will never catch on. I recall the abuse I got when I mentioned them on another forum several years ago.. stating that transom wheels were nothing more than fashion accessories on larger SIBs and its better keeping the transom clear for the aux engine. I have yet to buy a pair of transom wheels ..but then I'm not a lazy git :rofl

Wayfarer-09.jpg

Etive Jan 01.jpg

Iona 101.jpg
The Gurnard
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP

Postby Si Crowe » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:26 pm

in fact, for that money...

Christ, I'd make my own! 50mm stainless tube, get them curved by a local co with a pipe mandrel bender. stainless steel angle iron and a pillar drill...
a few nice allen bolts and penny washers....

nice project. 6 million dollar man launching wheels... better, stronger, faster!! we have the technology!!! :Boxsmile :Boxsmile
Si Crowe
Veteran Member

Postby Martin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:30 pm

The answer is aftermarket quality launch wheels rated OVER 100 kg. You can buy quality ones to suit the Honwave trim tabs.
The Honda marine ones are pants !
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:
Martin
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75s
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi (2016)
MMSI Number: 123456789

Next

Return to SIB (Inflatable Boats)