F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - Bow dodgers

Bow dodgers

Soft Floor Inflatable Boats

Bow dodgers

Postby Jakeyboy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi guys;whats the benefit of bow dodgers then? I noticed when i met the giys off oban most of you had them on and notice a lot about them on the forum. My honwave t38 is a very dry boat so dont really see the need or am i missing something? I suppose you get a bit of shelter from them. Bought bow bag when i got boat but managed to tear an eye out of it at oban and was thinking of just doing without it as boat seems much roomier without it
Jakeyboy
Advanced Member

MMSI Number: 10

Re: Bow dodgers

Postby Tellum » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:19 pm

hi jakeyboy,i am in the process of finding one or making one up. Main reason i hope it will keep the weather off me bit when anchored up fishing in the river this winter. Hopefully tuck under it a bit and keep the cold wind of a bit.
Tellum

Boat Make: Honwave t40
Outboard: Honda 20hp four-stroke
MMSI Number: 235904012

Postby Martin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:25 pm

Agreed, the Honwave is a fairly dry boat, but when you get out in big seas you’ll definitely be pleased of one, I made mine originally to keep my little one dry and out of the wind if the weather turned. As dry as you think the Honwave is, once in the rough stuff you’ll be surprised how much water even the Honwave takes on.
Deffo a worthy upgrade.
The FRIB is remarkably dry, but again - I wouldn’t be without mine.

Martin :cheers
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:
Martin
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75s
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi (2016)
MMSI Number: 123456789

Postby Jakeyboy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:29 pm

Yep maybe something for the future then Martin ; really enjoying the forum ;loads of good ideas and practical adviceon here from you guys; and i dont feel foolish asking unlike some other forums lol
Jakeyboy
Advanced Member

Postby Jakeyboy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:32 pm

Keep us posted tellum ;watching with interest especially now my bow bags knackered
Jakeyboy
Advanced Member

Postby Martin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:06 pm

Jakeyboy wrote:Yep maybe something for the future then Martin ; really enjoying the forum ;loads of good ideas and practical adviceon here from you guys; and i dont feel foolish asking unlike some other forums lol

:IANW Thanks for the comments, we really are fortunate on here to have great members that are all happy to chip in and help out, no big hammers here lol, just like minded folk that enjoy getting out on the water :thumbsup
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:
Martin
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75s
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi (2016)
MMSI Number: 123456789

Postby Paul » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:04 am

Martin wrote:
Jakeyboy wrote:Yep maybe something for the future then Martin ; really enjoying the forum ;loads of good ideas and practical adviceon here from you guys; and i dont feel foolish asking unlike some other forums lol

:IANW Thanks for the comments, we really are fortunate on here to have great members that are all happy to chip in and help out, no big hammers here lol, just like minded folk that enjoy getting out on the water :thumbsup

+1 :D ......... it's you guys that make a forum successful , not the other way round :thumbsup

On the subject of bow doggers:
Yup it's nice to keep the wind and spray from hitting you BUT as I discovered it can also save your bacon in big swell of 2-3m.
Whilst filming with a Gopro I got caught out a couple of times and 'stuffed' my bow into waves that would have breached the tubes and the canopy deflected most of the water away from flooding the boat :idea:
:cheers
I walked through the door marked 'EXIT' and life is now good!
Paul
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-RIB360
Outboard: Seagull 4hp, Honda 10hp, Tohatsu 20hp
MMSI Number: 235915479

Postby mattswan2512 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:04 pm

Ill be making/getting one at some point as in big sea its deffo needed. The smaller honwaves i think are very wet rides especialy the t35's i had the T40 and it was alot drier than aarons t35 so i think az was pleased with his makeshift spray dodger on the WWA17 and was thankfull on the return swell. I didnt really get alot over the front of my 330 F-Rib which suprised me due to being small altho i got alot of slam. I did however take alot of spray to the face when following behind the fishing boat but even in big swell spray dodgers keep the weather out and is a must on a bit of a trek IMHO
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.
mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !

Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.
MMSI Number: 0

Postby The Gurnard » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:10 pm

The dodger does two things ..it helps keep spray from coming over the front.. it also helps keep your gear that is stowed up front ..in the boat. I often see my dry bags bounce around up front but know they wont go far under the cover. Just make sure you get a reasonably strong one if using them in the rough.. water has a lot of power and weight behind it when its crashing onto a bow dodger.. so if its not properly tied on ..it can end up being dislodged and acting like a sea anchor..at the worst possible time :o
The Gurnard
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP
MMSI Number: 0

Postby Jakeyboy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:20 pm

So it sounds like i need to be getting one then; does anyone make one thats a good fit for the t38 as im sure you all know bow is a lot pointier than alloy deck honwaves amd all ones I've seen available are on alloy decks .I would rather buy something that fits and works rather than try and make one although i must say Kaman yours looks well smart
Jakeyboy
Advanced Member

Next

Return to SIB (Inflatable Boats)