F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - land lubber has been converted

land lubber has been converted

Soft Floor Inflatable Boats

land lubber has been converted

Postby Mitch » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:34 pm

Finally got out this week, packed the car the day before & filled it right up. Went to baiter point for the first outing with me mate, took quite a while to get everything set up as this was the first trip.
honwave 1st trip 2017 003.JPG

slipway was shallow so real easy to get boat into water however we did have to push it out a long way to get it to float & even with wellies on we got wet feet so need waders next time. Took a little time to sort out the wheels as they were sticking a bit, once done we were under way, got up to 6 knots & weaved our way around all the boats as there was a lot of sailing craft going across in front of the slip, got out into the main channel & brought the speed up to 10 knots.
Everything going fine until I opened up a bit & found she wouldn't go any faster no matter how far I opened the throttle, there was also a noise a bit like the big ends gone in a car engine, if I eased back on the throttle the noise disappeared but still wouldn't go any faster.
We carried on at about 10 knots trying to move the weight around but didn't make any difference. We carried on till about 1/2 a mile out at a point between sandbanks & Bournemouth & dropped anchor.
honwave 1st trip 2017 005.JPG

20170830_170747.jpg

Did a few hours fishing & tried to move the trim up a hole but it wouldn't come free of the hole so left alone, have since moved the pin up one hole so will try that.
Coming back in it started getting a bit rough so kept the speed down a bit as the floor was rippling a bit & the engine was making the same clonking noise above half throttle, the engine sounded like the clutch was slipping & also the prop was coming out of the water on the waves.
Got back in ok & had a bit of a problem with the slipway as I slowed & stopped to put the wheels down the Skeg touched the slip even though we were a considerable distance from the waters edge so lifted engine rowed back to get wheels down, rowed towards land until wheels touched slip, jumped out & got wet feet.
Checked floor pressure as pump was in the car & found it was down to just below .7 bar. Have now bought a golf buggy battery to carry on boat to check pressure after 20 mins or so.
All in all an eventful day, made a few mistakes, learnt a lot & had some good fishing with bass upto 1 1/2lb & some good size black bream, bass went back, bream ended up on plates.
Enjoyed our day, it seems the problems with the engine & the ride is probably due to floor pressure not being right or at least I hope that's what it is as it's a brand new engine.
Mitch
Newish Member, But I Like It Here

Boat Make: Honwave T38-ie2
Outboard: Mercury 20HP Fourstroke
MMSI Number: 10

Re: land lubber has been converted

Postby neil h » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:45 pm

Hi Mitch
Others far more knowledgeable than me will comment at some stage, but with it being a brand new engine, are you following the running in guidelines? Assuming they still have them that is
10kn is simply too slow for that boat with that engine I think. If tubes not up to pressure that can impact things but seems strange to me
neil h
Veteran Member

Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Toha 9.8 ss
Suzi 15 4/ ls
Yam 25 2/ ls
MMSI Number: 0

Postby Mitch » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:30 am

Hi Neil,
Running in procedure is about 1/2throttle for a couple of hours then opening up slowly, which is more or less what I did & if there was something drastic wrong with the engine then it would make the noise through the whole throttle including tick over so would imagine it's to do with the tubes being under inflated. I hope.
Mitch

Postby Bigplumbs » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:21 am

What is the engine ?
Bigplumbs
I'm New

Postby Mitch » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:12 am

Mercury 20hp fourstroke.
Mitch

Postby chris moody » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:49 pm

Something very wrong there, it should absolutely fly with a 20hp.

Is the engine a short shaft or long shaft? What height is the cavitation plate in relation to the bottom of the keel?
Chris Moody

Tiny Tigga - Honwave T32IE with launch wheels Honda 2hp 4 stroke air cooled & Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke
Tigga 2 - Ribcraft 4.8 Honda BF50
chris moody
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !

Boat Make: Honwave T32IE
Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8
MMSI Number: 235900806

Postby Mitch » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:27 am

Hi Chris, it's a short shaft, not sure about plate, it looks about level with the keel, if you can't tell from pic will have to put boat up in garden.
IMG_0203.JPG
Mitch

Postby Steve » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:29 pm

Hi Mitch

I wonder if your outboard has a rev limiter? Maybe during the 10 hour run in period, it's limited somehow? If it's new I reckon a call to a Mercury dealer would be worthwhile...

You will need the floor tubes full to get up to faster speeds, but it sounds like you've got an engine rather than boat issue here.

You should be +20knts easy once run in with two people plus kit in the T38.

Good luck!

Steve
Steve

Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE2
Outboard: Suzuki DF20AS
MMSI Number: 235902190

Postby Mitch » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi Steve,
looked in manual & that didn't mention anything about a limiter so phoned dealer I bought it from & they said to take it back & they would put it through it's paces in the great big tank they have. I suppose that's the way to go but it's a long drive from swindon to Exeter. If I let them try it & they don't find anything then at least I've eliminated the engine.
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:52 pm

Took the engine back to Bridgers today & they put it in the tank, started it & let it warm up, then tried it through all the revs for about 1/4 an hour & every thing was fine. They said if it does it again then to take engine & boat back to them & they would take it out on the water & try it, but it seems it was coming up to revs & the limiter was cutting in as Steve thought, that's what the knocking noise was. It seems it was all to do with the floor being under pressure. Going to try it next Monday down Poole & this time will take pump with me now that I have a small golf cart battery & will see what it's like.
Mitch

Next

Return to SIB (Inflatable Boats)