F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - First sea trip in t38 honwave

First sea trip in t38 honwave

Soft Floor Inflatable Boats

Re: First sea trip in t38 honwave

Postby Martin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:13 am

I'd expect to see around 23/25 mph out of that all day long if your out on your own buddy.
Fingers crossed you get what you're expecting :thumbsup
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:
Martin
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75s
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi (2016)
MMSI Number: 123456789

Postby Tellum » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:00 am

Cheers lads. Will give it a go later.
Tellum

Boat Make: Honwave t40
Outboard: Honda 20hp four-stroke
MMSI Number: 235904012

Postby Tellum » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:14 pm

well i got out and gave it a try didn't get out on my own so had a bit of gear and a 12 year old lad. played a bit with the trim settled on hole 2 and was happy cruising at 15 mph ,got up to 20 mph. bit windier then expected so happy with that. in perfect conditions on my own with tiller extension would probably hit 25 mph. The floor was rippling so checked the pressure and the floor was down to 0.65 one side didn't think it would drop that much so topped it back up. was better again,but still movement in the floor, probably normal. i did video it and full throttle at at around 45 secs into the video it sounds as if it loses power like it was starving or struggling just before the boy says ya this coincided with the floor rippling.....or is it me being picky/hearing things. will try to upload video but i am not much good with technology. one thing i have decided is that i will be keeping the sib on a trailer ,so will probably look for a alloy floor as i do a lot of fishing,probably look for a t40 possibly swap my t38 ie .
Tellum

Postby rogerblack » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:33 am

Hi

One thing to bear in mind is that if you pump up to pressure on land, especially on a reasonably warm day, then put the boat into cold water the pressure will drop, particularly on the floor as that is all in contact with the water, so I tend to overpressure slightly then check once it's been in the water for a while and top up if required.

Bear in mind though that the opposite is true - if you leave the boat on land exposed to the sun the pressure will rise again so best to let some out if leaving it for any time.

:cheers
cheers
Roger

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong.
No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”

― Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man
rogerblack
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495

Postby Tellum » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:45 pm

not totally convinced with the air floor yet. at one stage the engine rev high at the same time as the floor was rising, not just a ripple but it pushed up a good couple of inches. been doing some research and it can be an issue. the bulging floor apparently changes the water the prop is going through hence the tone change in the engine. hopefully playing with weight distribution and trim can reduce this.
Tellum

Postby Martin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:59 pm

A few folk have mentioned this slight floor movement, mine used to move a very small amount but that's to be expected. It certainly never caused me any issues and I've seen some good speeds with the Honwave/suzuki set up I used to run.
I did notice some time ago that my bravo pump gauge gave a different reading to my Honwave manometer and my other pressure gauge. The bravo always read low compared to the other two.
I wonder if Honwave have altered the floors slightly in the later models :LMT

Kaman, have you noticed any problems with the T38 ?
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:
Martin
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75s
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi (2016)
MMSI Number: 123456789

Postby Steve » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi Tellum

I'm pretty new to the world of SIB'ing, but I do have a similar setup to you. Here's my two cents worth of experience...

1. Air Pressures. I found with our new T38 that two of the valves (port tube and starboard floor) needed to be tightened with the plastic spanner that came with the boat. This might explain why one of your floor tubes needs topping up more than the other. You can test them by spraying soapy water on them, watching out for bubbles...

I do tend to put a bit more pressure in whilst on the land, as the colder sea temp reduces the air pressure. I have checked the floors after 15 mins on the sea too, and sometimes they did need a wee top up.

I find the manometer a waste of time - too much air comes out when trying to put it in the floor valves!

2. Rippling floor. I've not been able to prevent this; but a higher pressure does reduce this. When the pressure is too low, a massive bulge of air forms under the keel and that can pass through to the prop. This air bubble causes the prop to 'slip' in the water, the rpm's rise and the boat feel like it's hit a wall. We've found this happens more often on flat calm water; normally OK on the sea...

3. Outboard Trim. Still playing with this, but second hole away from the transom seems OK for most situations for us. Moving people's weight around makes a difference in balancing the boat out - worth experimenting with this. We try and put most of the gear weight up front, using each of our body weights to trim things out. We can get the boat planning nicely with four people plus kit.

4. Outboard Prop Size. My Suzuki was delivered with a 12" prop. This only gave us max rpm of 5000. Changed this for a 10" prop and this gave 5800 rpm. We are a bit faster with the 10" prop and can do about 21 / 22 mph on the sea with two people plus (way too much) gear.

We've also decided to look for a trailer as I find the T38 too heavy to pack away on my own (as it needs to travel on the roof rack of the car).

We've found the air floor very forgiving on bumpy seas, yet stable enough to fish from it too. Guess it's all a compromise on the experience you'd get from a hard shell like on a RIB though. But hopefully you'll get all the bugs ironed out and will start to truly enjoy the boat.

Good luck!

Steve
  • Honwave T38 IE2 "Smackerel" with a Suzuki DF20AS
  • Mirror Dinghy "Cheap Thrill" (no. 60865)
  • Advanced Elements Kayak - AdvancedFrame AE1
Steve

Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE2
Outboard: Suzuki DF20AS
MMSI Number: 235902190

Postby Tellum » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:12 pm

number 2 is exactly whats happening Steve. i can cruise at 12/15 mph nicely, which iam happy with for general use . but when i open it up for a bit of fun the floor bulges big time. ive checked the valves with soapy water and no problems,but when under pressure and the floor bulging it my force air out around the valves.i will get both valves out clean seal and reseat at a later date . when that floor bulges its a bit worrying ,its like its a live . would inflating the floor to 0.9 be to risky.
Tellum

Postby kaman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:23 pm

Howdy.
As Martin mentioned earlier I bought his old T3.8 Honwave.
I have had no floor bulging issues running it with a Tohatsu 20hp 4 stroke.
I run it on the first pin
A few months ago I noticed the port floor section was leaking air thru the valve - although it sealed when I put the cap on it.
I removed the entire valve and found some crud was preventing it from sealing property.
After cleaning and re- seating the valve all was good.
I do always re-pressurise the floor after 20 mins or so on the water.
As I also own a 3.5m ally floor Honwave I can make the following observations.
The 3.8 does flex at little when underway in a chop - as I expected it would.
I wouldn't say it is excessive or gives cause for concern in fact I'd say it makes for a better ride - I've got ongoing neck problems and find the 3.5 ally floor very unforgiving in the ruff stuff.
The 3.5 ally floor doesn't give any when riding thru a chop thus it can make for quite a harsh ride in the ruff stuff.
The 3.5 is heavier out of the bag and I have added bits and bob's increasing the weight further this isn't an issue as it's permanently trailered.
The 3.5 ally seems to prefer the 2nd pin on the outboard.
The 3.8ie is lighter as it is my caravanning sib and as such I don't have nearly as much weight in it.
With the Tohatsu 20hp the 3.8ie is by far the quicker of the two.
Horses for courses as the say.
With hindsight I'd keep the 3.8 for taking away with my caravan but I'd get rid of the trailered 3.5 and replace it with a sub 4m rib on a trailer - if and when the wife let's me ohyeh
kaman
Super Poster

Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675

Postby Tellum » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:52 am

Will try on pin 1 next time I am out. I think that might help by keeping bow up and avoid ploughing through the water a bit.
Thanks all.
Tellum

PreviousNext

Return to SIB (Inflatable Boats)