F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - Spinning head!!!???!!

Spinning head!!!???!!

Soft Floor Inflatable Boats

Spinning head!!!???!!

Postby bigfatfool » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:46 pm

Hellooooo all,

I'm new hear... and will take the time to introduce myself properly when my heads not spinning so badly!!

I'm looking to take the plunge on a new (to me) so second hand sib plus outboard. Had a little old sib, more a tender with an old 70s yam 8a for a good few years - much fun in it.... but managed to bust the impeller housing the other year and getting a replacements been a PITA...

So anyways... always thought I wanted a bigger boat... and more power... fancy going bay to bay, having a wee blast, maybe try wake boarding, not get too scared if the sea gets up a little, maybe try going to the IOW... I was going to go for my workshop landlords 17 foot bow-rider.... but it needs a tailor... and as my misses pointed out... we have a long-wheelbase van... parking etc will become a nightmare... we like stopping for a day or two here or there... our jobs don't often allow for longer trips :-(

So... I've finally got a bit of 'spare cash' and I have some choices... so many many hours research later... I have more choices and less decisions... so... I'm hoping to find some help here?!

So here we go... in no particular order....

Boats:
seapro 4.2m alu floor
wetline 450hd
Honwave 40

And yes - I thought I knew I wanted the alu floor due to added rigidity and durability... but having read a few threads on here I'm now not sure... more head spinning!!!

and then there are my engine options....

a 1985 marine 20hp
johnson 30 (not sure on age but looks fairly new)
an Archimedes 25 from the 70s!!

So there we have it.... please help!!!
bigfatfool
I'm New

MMSI Number: 10

Re: Spinning head!!!???!!

Postby chris moody » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:09 am

Welcome to the group. The Honwaves are well made and so far I've not met anyone that's been disappointed with their Honwave. I prefer the air floors for ease of setting up and ease of transporting, but if you are into fishing (you didn't mention fishing) a hard floor might be better with fish hooks all over the place.

Check the outboards for weight to make sure you can lift them in and out of the van, a 30hp is going to be a big heavy lump to lift and move around.
Chris Moody

Tiny Tigga - Honwave T32IE with launch wheels Honda 2hp 4 stroke air cooled & Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke
Tigga 2 - Ribcraft 4.8 Honda BF50
chris moody
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !

Boat Make: Honwave T32IE
Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8
MMSI Number: 235900806

Postby komplexpro » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:05 am

Hi and :welcome

I have recently purchased a Excel SD330 from http://www.excel-inflatables.co.uk ( recommending them as a happy customer ) from which I got a fantastic deal.
I decided to go with the air deck due the fact that it would be lighter and easier to move around, they also do other sizes on the air deck SD range.
Have a look at my setup https://youtu.be/V8tgo5S66oA

Hope this helps
komplexpro
Newish Member, But I Like It Here

Boat Make: Excel SD-330
Outboard: Mercury 9.9 4 st
MMSI Number: 235901944

Postby bigfatfool » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:30 am

Thank you for your answers and recommendations.... I do not know anyone else with a SIB so I am having to try to work it out for myself! Which makes your forum brilliant :-)

The reason I am choosing between the boats and engines I have listed is because I am on a small budget, and I have found these secondhand for a price I can afford.

The reason I am looking for an alu floor is because my old 2.7m had problems with the floor flexing as it came up to the plane and when on the plane. I actually made up 2 metal stringers and mounted them to the floor to make it more rigid which helped.

Are the air floors good enough to use at speed in a 4m boat with a 30hp engine? My gut feeling says no, but I hope someone here has real experience of both alu floors and inflatable ones.

Also - does anyone have experience of the boats and / or engines I have to choose from?

Something I forgot to add last night... I know my set-up will be heavy... we might find it too heavy and annoying to set-up, but it is the size of boat and engine we think we want. We will use transom wheels. If it is too heavy and annoying we will sell it for a smaller set-up...

Many thanks... head still spinning a bit tho ;-)
bigfatfool
I'm New

MMSI Number: 10

Postby Martin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:43 pm

I'm an ex Honwave T38 (high pressure inflatable "V" floor) owner.
They are superb boats.. well built and well capable. The Honwaves T38ie & T40 max HP is 25hp, the weight of the 25hp is something you should be checking out. You'll find they're rather heavy if going down the 4 stroke route.

My opinion on the ally floor vs the high pressure v floor is..
If you feel a need to stand on a solid floor and you have the time and the patience - oh, and the strength required to lift it, drag it, set it up, pull it down. Great !

However, in a big fan of stick the bravo in the valve.. have a brew & chat whilst a machine does the work for you and then be on the water before the ally floor guys loose their temper and start effin:jeffin and wanging floor panels about in a rage :lol:
Seriously, not as bad as it sounds :shame but I am trying to make a point of you need two pairs of hands and/or a great technique to get it done anywhere near as quick as the air floor sibs.

On the water I don't think there's much in it tbh. :drive

Here's my T38ie review for you.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=335
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:
Martin
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75s
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi (2016)
MMSI Number: 123456789

Postby enzo200500 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:26 pm

My Honwave T40 is max 30hp Martin!

Although, a 30hp 4t engine would be a right old lump to lift about.
A 30hp 2t would be just about doable......

I use the Honda bf20 4t engine, and that only gets lifted from the transom straight onto the trolley.
enzo200500

Boat Make: honwave T40
Outboard: Honda BF 20
MMSI Number: 0

Postby enzo200500 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:30 pm

enzo200500

Boat Make: honwave T40
Outboard: Honda BF 20
MMSI Number: 0

Postby Paul » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:17 am

Hi bigfatfool and :welcome to the forum

My best advice would be ........... ease of use = more use = value for money :thumbsup

If there's going to be 2 of you at all times to lift, inflate and assemble the larger type of sib and outboard outfit then it'll not be an issue.
If however you may wish to boat solo occasionally it'll soon become a pain to use and your time on the water will reduce dramatically :( hence owners revert to trailering their outfit, which increases costs or selling up and starting the buying process all over again :idea:

You need to decide what you intend to use your boat for, what is its main function, how many will be aboard the majority of the time, then you can gain the best advice from the members who've 'been there' :chat

Fire away with all your needs, ideas, questions and concerns :thumbsup to hopefully find the boat that suits your needs first time :idea:
:cheers
I walked through the door marked 'EXIT' and life is now good!
Paul
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-RIB360
Outboard: Seagull 4hp, Honda 10hp, Tohatsu 20hp
MMSI Number: 235915479

Return to SIB (Inflatable Boats)