F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - August photo competition: "Interesting boats and ships."

August photo competition: "Interesting boats and ships."

Please feel free to post pictures of your boating set-ups.
UPLOADING DIRECT TO THE FORUM IS OUR PREFERRED OPTION.
Please do not use third party apps

Re: August photo competition: "Interesting boats and ships."

Postby DouglasW » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:38 pm

Great subject Steuk :). You are lucky to have had a sighting of her afloat. I have not seen the HMS Queen Elizabeth in the flesh yet but I did see 8,000 ton and 11,000 ton sections being built by BAE Govan when we went on a wee trip down the Clyde in late 2010.

20101114IMG_3305.jpg

Just a month before, we saw her predecessor, HMS Ark Royal, unloading her nukes at Glen Mallon on Loch Long prior to her decommissioning at Portsmouth in early 2011.

Douglas
DouglasW
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Yamaha F15C
Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5
MMSI Number: 0

Postby Steuk60 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:47 pm

She was anchored up for about a week on the forth, there were 2 other Royal Navy vessels nearby while she was there, not close up but visible at a distance, for security purposes! Cheers,,stewart..
Steuk60
Newish Member, But I Like It Here

Boat Make: Seapro 310 hd
Outboard: Mercury 15
MMSI Number: 10

Postby mattswan2512 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:48 pm

No photo's but i was at portsmouth docks last week 2 days on the trot and see the royal navies new aircraft carrier......what a laviothan that thing is. You dont respect the sheer scale untill its close. What a beast, actualy got to see it alot longer than planned as the company i work for was not informed that the trailers we ordered were in the uk and a vosa/border guards had slapped a nice big storage fine on them.........so i sat for 2 hours on the vosa weighbridge until they paid and cleared my release ohhhhhhh joy

Got the sweats a bit sat on a vosa bridge but i was fine.
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.
mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !

Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.

Postby sparerib » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:44 am

IMG_2390.JPG
Jack ups in Dundee....one up one down !
sparerib
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 340
Outboard: Yamaha 30hp 4 stroke

Postby Captain cod » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:54 pm

I know it's last minute but here's my entry I wasn't actually on my boat but I was stood with it e had to get out of the water while the RNLI did there exhibition at trearddur bay on Sunday
Attachments
IMG-20170827-WA0009.jpg
Captain cod
Veteran Member

Boat Make: Humber
Outboard: Mariner 40hp

Postby DouglasW » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Decision time!!

Thank you to all who entered, somehow man made objects don't quite encourage photography in the same way as a lovely sunset. However, the entrants have risen to the challenge and produced photos of some really interesting vessels.

Here is a review in order of posting:

First off all Paul B's two PS Waverley photos. A great subject as she is the last sea going paddle steamer in the world. Clearly taken from a boat and nicely composed and exposed with some great light on the first one. My one minor criticism of such a lovely shot as the first one is that the top of her foremast is chopped off.

Roger Black's two oil rig photos also showed great choice of subject with some lateral thinking! Roger clearly understands composition as the subject and horizon are not just plonked in the middle of the frame.

I love Stray's large Geneva pedalo, very original, and nicely fills the frame. It certainly looks bigger than my F-RIB 330 but it was not taken from a boat.

Gwozhog's pirate ship is a great choice of subject. I love the way his choice of photo and composition clearly demonstrates that it was taken from his boat. Again the horizon is not plonked on the middle. It would have been nice if the subject was bigger but one does need to keep clear of pirate ships....

...not to mention Omani navy ships!!! Nice shot Kaman, a great but very difficult (armed) subject well done for keeping cool. Nicely composed in terms of horizon placement. It could have been straightened in a photo editor. I am nitpicking given the subject steaming towards you but I would have placed the ship towards the left so it is steaming into the photo. Again this could have been done in a photo editor afterwards. But top marks for keeping cool and getting the shot in what could have been a challenging situation. A friend of mine was arrested in Greece for taking a photo of a helicopter!

Dublinpup the SeaLegs (RIB on wheels) was an inspired choice as there are very few about. It is a pity that it was not taken from your boat, your honesty is appreciated, as it is one of those almost unique "must take" moments. Not only are SeaLegs rare in the wild, they are even rarer to see actually driving on land. An inspired choice of subject matter.

Steuk60 the HMS Queen Elizabeth is again a great choice of subject as she has only very recently set off on sea trials. Unless you have a drone (someone landed a drone on her deck) she is very difficult to get close to. Nice placement of the horizon. I would have moved forward to get rid of the grass and barrier so that the foreground was beach and waves. I would also have moved her a bit to the right again so that she is steaming into the picture.

Sparerib I love the interesting subject especially as they illustrate the different states of jackup rigs. The foreground rig is in the middle of the photo but it shows "rules" can be effectively broken as the second rig is to one side and the balance between the two is off centre. I would have made the horizon straight and higher to get rid of blank grey sky and the fore ground would then be of the sea with the rig reflections emphasising their height.

Captain cod, I love your photo of the RNLI launch. The colour, the composition, the little sub plots: the SUPers ashore still leashed, the Mum and child, the onlookers, too many RNLI crew not quite knowing where to look or sit, the concentration of the tractor driver clearly visible, the other boat owner in the foreground standing in the shallows, looking into the photo towards the main subject, holding his boat as you were.

So now the results:

DSC_0248-2.JPG
DSC_0248-2.JPG (30.68 KiB) Viewed 285 times

In second place it is PaulB with his lovely shot of the PS Waverley. Send it to them Paul, it might help them straighten her bow after her recent close encounter with a pier!

IMG-20170827-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20170827-WA0009.jpg (36.39 KiB) Viewed 285 times

Now for first place. I made the rules and on this occasion I am prepared to bend them ever so slightly. Captain cod has been honest and explained why his boat was not bobbing about off the slipway. Like the other boat in the photo, I can judge from the position that his boat was afloat but secured by him to avoid impeding the launch (another rule of the competition was to avoid obstructing other vessels) so I am delighted to make the winner of the August photo comp Captain Cod

Douglas :)
DouglasW
Supporting Member

Outboard: Yamaha F15C
Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5

Postby Martin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:09 pm

Congratulations Captain Cod on your winning image.
Great shots from everyone!!
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:
Martin
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75s
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi (2016)
MMSI Number: 123456789

Postby Admin1 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:54 pm

Rules Moving Forward...
This thread is a bit of fun guys and doesn't need to be taken too seriously, but please try to stick to the subject set by the person advising the topic. (Original topic selector included)
Images to be posted in landscape mode so the winning image can be placed in the selected location of the portal.

Congrats to Captain Cod and over to you to advise a new subject for September.

Thankyou :Hats
Please Like, Subscribe, Share, and Join Our Social Media Sites.
Twitter, Facebook, YouTube & Google+
Admin1
Site Admin

Postby Captain cod » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:20 pm

Wow i was not expecting that thanks DouglasW.

I think I'm going to leave semptembers photo competition wide open and title it memories
The reason being is I bought my sib to spend time with my family and enjoy something we can all take part of. So what I would like to see is your fondest memory whilst on or with your sib this dosnt have to include family it could be with friends. Or on your own at a place that you have enjoyed.

I kick it off with this one of me, the missus and my beautiful daughter while we were at saint ives a couple of weeks ago
Attachments
IMG-20170901-WA0001.jpg
Captain cod
Veteran Member

Boat Make: Humber
Outboard: Mariner 40hp

Postby Paul » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:30 pm

Congratulations Captain Cod :clappy
Well done :thumbsup
:cheers
I walked through the door marked 'EXIT' and life is now good!
Paul
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-RIB360
Outboard: Seagull 4hp, Honda 10hp, Tohatsu 20hp
MMSI Number: 235915479

PreviousNext

Return to Picture gallery