Important - Feedback required please !!

Please feel free to post pictures of your boating set-ups.
UPLOADING DIRECT TO THE FORUM IS OUR PREFERRED OPTION.
Please do not use third party apps

Do we remove the externally linked image upload option ?

Poll ended at 28 Jul 2017, 23:27

Yes, I'd rather preserve the F-Ribs And Sibs forum from thread spoiling and move forward by uploading all images directly to the forum in the future. I realise some members may no longer post images if this action is implemented but moving on it will preserve the forum for the future.
80%
No, I wish to continue using a third party storage site to link to the forum.
13%
I'm not sure, I am concerned that members may leave the forum if Admin implement this action.
7%

Total votes: 15

Admin Great Britain
Site Admin

Important - Feedback required please !!

Post by Admin » 14 Jul 2017, 23:27

Hi guys,
We've had a long hard think about the future of the forum and the possibilities of future issues with images being destroyed through companies such as photo bucket holding people to ransom.
Basically - for those who maybe unaware, Photo bucket have stopped their account users from using external links to provide images on a third party website.
ie: you can no longer share your photo-bucket account images on a forum or such without paying them a large annual sum.

Many forums have been affected by this crazy update, Images are no longer displayed as they were, instead a "Please log into your account" image is left in place, completely destroying a thread/page/topic.

At F-Ribs & Sibs we are quite lucky, as the forum is still in it's infancy stages we can act on this before it's too late.
Admin can turn off the option of inbound links from third party image hosts, Moving forward you will have to upload your images directly to our server and they will be preserved on our forum without any ransom appearing.

Unfortunately "WE CAN NOT FIX" the already out linked Images from photo bucket, they have disappeared unless re-uploaded to our site directly by the original poster.
All other image url / image links will still be available for Admin to access, we can then copy the image from it's original source and replace / fix it manually onto our site again - Doing it this way, there will be no further loss of images or any chance of someone being held to ransom. Although a time consuming movement for Admin, It will preserve your images within your valuable posts.

Image storage is of no issue to us now, we have more than enough server space to cope with anything thrown at us and all data whether image/text is backed up daily.

So for the longevity of this site & usability we would recommend this to be the chosen path.

Using the poll at the top of this post...
Please cast your vote (you may select one option) - If you have any concerns, please leave a comment so we can discuss further before making a decision.
This really does matter guys and girls.. Your input is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Admin :TY
Please Like, Subscribe, Share, and Join Our Social Media Sites.
Twitter, Facebook, YouTube & Google+

Paul B Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !

Re: Important - Feedback required please !!

Post by Paul B » 15 Jul 2017, 07:05

Voted to load directly as I've always done
These users thanked the author Paul B for the post:
Martin (15 Jul 2017, 08:54)

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !

Post by Andy B » 15 Jul 2017, 08:45

I agree,
It may also be an idea that if you find yourself viewing a post that is affected by this, (ie, if you find a post with a missing image) to bump it so that it may possibly be fixed by editing in the appropriate image.

If this is possible?
These users thanked the author Andy B for the post:
Martin (15 Jul 2017, 09:02)

Martin England
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 15 Jul 2017, 09:02

Andy B wrote:I agree,
It may also be an idea that if you find yourself viewing a post that is affected by this, (ie, if you find a post with a missing image) to bump it so that it may possibly be fixed by editing in the appropriate image.

If this is possible?
Yup, Bang on the nail Andy... :IANW :clappy

No need to bump though, if you can use the report button..(that's the exclamation mark in the blue box) next to the edit / thumbs up button on the top right corner of the text box and add a few words that helpos see whay it's been reported. ie:-
image not displaying
image from another source
link not working
abusive post
etc etc

That info will show to admin/mods immediately and we can deal with it (hopefully) from there in

Really appreciate the feedback on this guys, we have to ensure we get it right first time for the mass majority of users...
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Captain cod England
Veteran Member
Boat Make: Humber
Outboard: Mariner 40hp
MMSI Number: 10

Post by Captain cod » 15 Jul 2017, 10:03

I'm voting for loading photos directly as well just make sure you do it from the f-ribs and sibs Web site and not the app because images don't show properly if you upload via the app

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Captain cod for the post:
Martin (15 Jul 2017, 10:31)

Martin England
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 15 Jul 2017, 10:23

Captain cod wrote:I'm voting for loading photos directly as well just make sure you do it from the f-ribs and sibs Web site and not the app because images don't show properly if you upload via the app
Thanks for the feedback Captain Cod,
Can you ensure you click on your preferred choice on the poll please so we get a true reading of votes. :thumbsup

I'm not too sure where we are with image upload from the tapatalk app - however, if you use the mobile view to upload images onto the forum they work perfectly :D
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Captain cod England
Veteran Member
Boat Make: Humber
Outboard: Mariner 40hp

Post by Captain cod » 15 Jul 2017, 10:29

Sorry Martin I was on the app and the choices are not on there but I have done it on the mobile view website

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Captain cod for the post:
Martin (15 Jul 2017, 10:31)

The Gurnard
Super Poster
Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP
Has thanked: 0

Post by The Gurnard » 15 Jul 2017, 10:52

I voted to keep it as a choice for the Poster..its in my interest to retain my copywrite. You guys already know my thoughts on that from a previous discussion on this very topic.

Quick question admin.. I also host video on U Tube .. as do other posters here. Will this facility be removed too ? Does the site have the facility to host video ? U Tube can pull videos at any time..we all know that..so what is the forums stance there ?
These users thanked the author The Gurnard for the post:
Martin (15 Jul 2017, 13:18)

warder54 Great Britain
Super Poster
Boat Make: F-Rib 360 + Smartwave 480
Outboard: Yam 60 efi
Toh 5 4 st
Toh 20 efi

Post by warder54 » 15 Jul 2017, 10:53

Done - direct to site
These users thanked the author warder54 for the post:
Martin (15 Jul 2017, 13:18)
Why am I here - I should be in my boat fishing!!
Mike Elliott

Admin Great Britain
Site Admin

Post by Admin » 15 Jul 2017, 15:51

The Gurnard wrote:I voted to keep it as a choice for the Poster..its in my interest to retain my copywrite. You guys already know my thoughts on that from a previous discussion on this very topic.

Quick question admin.. I also host video on U Tube .. as do other posters here. Will this facility be removed too ? Does the site have the facility to host video ? U Tube can pull videos at any time..we all know that..so what is the forums stance there ?
Hi Gurnard.
We fully understand your stance on copyright protection and the reason you size your images as you do.
Lets get a balance of views from as many members as we can over the next two weeks and see how it looks. Maybe we can look at re-sizing images across the forum or maybe you could resize yourself before posting the images direct to the forum...?

At this stage it's imperative we get a widespread feel from the forum members before making any rash decisions. We certainly aren't out to do anything that disrupts the members views or user experience, But we seriously need to make sure the forum remains as stable as possible and reduce defective url's.

I would like to think Youtube is a little more educated than the likes of Amazon / Photo Bucket and their need to bribe people to submission.
Yes, they do remove or ask you to edit videos or soundtracks if they are found to have copyright infringement, Generally they seem a lot more relaxed if the channel is royalty free.
I think we cn upload directly to the forum but an embedded link from you tube appears to be the best option.

Regards,
Admin
Please Like, Subscribe, Share, and Join Our Social Media Sites.
Twitter, Facebook, YouTube & Google+

Return to “Picture gallery”