Switch to full style
Up and coming Meets / Cruises / Expeditions etc....
Post a reply

Weymouth to west bay sat 7th october

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:26 am

So would like a little explore of the jurassic coast down in dorset and i was thinking of a run between weymouth and west bay. Now this looks an acheivable run launching at weymouth slip "castletown slip" now this will require launch wheels at low tide as the slip drops onto the beach but the beach is solid so trailers can use it but it may not neccesarilly be the best option for trailer launch here.

Ive never been to this location so any local knowledge would be grand.
Thinking sat 7th october. Obviously this would depend on weather and tide times although it looks like we are not really tide restricted for launch and recover.

Please let me know if interested and what date you would prefer for this.

Re: Weymouth to west bay sat 7th october

Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:17 pm

I'd be interested if it was the following day, My reason, I'm working the Saturday.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:39 am

Matt
Looking at the launch and destination sites they don't look very "Jurassic" with the coastline being mainly beaches on the whole :|
Maybe a Poole, Baiters launch to take in the cliffs and if the weather is kind to us push on to Swanage, Lulworth and maybe Weymouth, returning to Poole totalling 68 miles :|
For the 'seasoned' boaters amongst us it's not a problem and if the weather changes on the day you'll have plenty of water to play in, lengthen or shorten the trip to suit :idea:
No one has a wasted trip either way :idea:
Just my 2p buddy as it's your shout :thumbsup
:cheers

Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:43 am

Fair point paul but west bay is quite hilly still if anyone watched broadchurch thats west bay

Screenshot_20170917-063419.png

I thought this area as has plenty of rest points and facilities plus cafe's. The beauty of west bay beach is that it sits out forward of the mainland so stopping at anypoint is simple all tho on a rough day would not ve an option unless on tge shelterd side of the bank.
Ive got to admit ive never been too lulworth cove and ive heard its very very scenic so im happy to do lulworth.....what app do you use paul to get chart plotter distance as i dont have paid for navionics so didnt think u can do that on the free app.....

Good shout on lulworth didnt cross my mind so yes im happy to visit lulworth and can take a rest stop their

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:02 am

Unfortunately I'm working that weekend, but the bonus is the work will involve being on the water.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:04 am

If we cant get takers we could look at the weekend after?

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:25 pm

May be able to make this but not too likely. Following weekend would be better.

You can use google earth for distances planning trips Matt

Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:19 am

Paul wrote:Matt
Looking at the launch and destination sites they don't look very "Jurassic" with the coastline being mainly beaches on the whole :|
Maybe a Poole, Baiters launch to take in the cliffs and if the weather is kind to us push on to Swanage, Lulworth and maybe Weymouth, returning to Poole totalling 68 miles :|
For the 'seasoned' boaters amongst us it's not a problem and if the weather changes on the day you'll have plenty of water to play in, lengthen or shorten the trip to suit :idea:
No one has a wasted trip either way :idea:
Just my 2p buddy as it's your shout :thumbsup

Can you validate "seasoned" for me Paul? Do you mean very experienced boaters or boaters at a particular time of year?

Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:26 am

Neither. He means a boater who has salt and pepper all over them lol

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:48 pm

Hobbitap999 wrote: Can you validate "seasoned" for me Paul? Do you mean very experienced boaters or boaters at a particular time of year?

Maybe a wrong choice of a word on my part mate :shame

Nothing meant by it at all, just saying some skippers don't cherish boating all year round like myself and a few others on here.
The prospect of a 60 mile plus trip or a trip along a rugged coastline with few, if any landing points doesn't appeal to all which I fully respect.
That said, there's some terrific boating conditions to be had during the autumn and winter months if you're kitted out well and keep warm :thumbsup
Post a reply