F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - Auxiliary engine on Honwave T3.8

Auxiliary engine on Honwave T3.8

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum

Auxiliary engine on Honwave T3.8

Postby kaman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:49 pm

I recently modified my Honwave 3.5m ally floored Sib's seat to carry my fixed VHF set / aerial, battery, charging points, fish finder, plotter and voltage meter.
The seat is identical to my Honwave T3.8 so it is interchangeable between the two sibs.

20170913_165731.jpg

I used it recently on my T3.8 around the Kyles of Bute.

The only thing the 3.5ae Honwave had that my T3.8 didn't have was an auxiliary engine bracket.

20170919_132349.jpg

During the 70 mile trip I carried my Suzuki 2.5hp in the bow of the T3.8 wrapped in some rubberised foam matting off cuts which I roughly shaped around the engine.

20171004_204854.jpg

I thought to myself if the Sh!t hits the fan and my Tohatsu 20hp breaks down I can just wrestle it aboard lay it on the airfloor and resort to using the auxiliary engine to get me back to port.

Thankfully all was well and the 20hp propelled me back to port no problem.

I did get to wondering how could I use a mount to use the auxiliary without having to drag the Tohatsu off of the transom.

Here is the result.....

Screenshot_2017-10-12-13-04-30.png

Screenshot_2017-10-12-13-03-50.png

Screenshot_2017-10-12-13-02-45.png

Still need to give it a lick of paint and add some plastic to where the engine clamps on :drive
kaman
Super Poster

Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675

Re: Auxiliary engine on Honwave T3.8

Postby Si Crowe » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:02 pm

it's a tidy solution but i can see that in operation flexing a lot and causing stress fractures in the transom. especially when its a bit lumpy, the leg is raised the the engine is pogoing up and down... more so with that 4 stroke on it...

i'd have plated the full hight and width of the transom in 3 to 4 mm ally plate and used two poles from the bracket to the transom to stop up and down flex and reduce torsional stress when the outboard is turned port or starboard.
If it has t*ts, tyres or floats......it's gonna cost ya!
Si Crowe
Veteran Member

Boat Make: DS110 & Seago 240 SIB
Outboard: 2xPerkins Sabres 225HP, 4HP Suzuki 2Stroke
MMSI Number: 0

Postby kaman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi Si, hopefully I will never need to use it.
The bracket or the auxiliary ain't going to be on the transom unless it is absolutely needed ie to get out of $h!t creek.
If the transom was gonna give it would be more likely to do so with the wheels whilst being dragged up a lumpy beach under the weight of the lard arse Tohatsu 20hp 4
The Suzuki 2.5hp weighs 13.5 kg and the little 2 stroke 2.2hp is 12kg - I think.
The post on the bracket has been precision machined to fit into the mount on the transom - there is no play whatsoever.
I'm fairly confident that the transom and the bracket ain't gonna give out if I need the little egg beater ito shove me a couple of miles back to shore.
I'd fancy my chances using the bracket and auxiliary rather than lifting the 52kg Tohatsu onto the air floor to make space for the auxiliary :o
I have got a 2nd post so I might bolt it onto the auxiliary transom pad to reinforce things once the paint dries :?:
But here's hoping I don't ever need to use it . :drive
Last edited by kaman on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaman
Super Poster

Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp

Postby Jakeyboy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:50 pm

I think it looks a top job Kaman and a very good solution to a tricky problem on the air floors;unfortunately you've now given me something else to think about lol
Jakeyboy
Advanced Member

MMSI Number: 10

Postby Steve » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:56 pm

That is a cracking idea Kaman - I think we might look at doing something similar...

Better safe than sorry, plus the T38 is a swine to row!

:cheers
  • Honwave T38 IE2 "Smackerel" with a Suzuki DF20AS
  • Mirror Dinghy "Cheap Thrill" (no. 60865)
  • Advanced Elements Kayak - AdvancedFrame AE1
Steve

Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE2
Outboard: Suzuki DF20AS
MMSI Number: 235902190

Postby kaman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:57 pm

Cheers guy's.
I'm sure the transom and bracket set up is up to the job.
Honwaves do have rather meaty transoms on them.

I ran out of petrol a few years back.
We were no more than 400 yards from the harbour mouth.
My old man was with me doing some fishing.
No probs we thought , just row back to shore.
Wrong!!!
The wind and tide conspired against that notion!
My old man was giving it big licks on the oars to no avail and we were drifting toward Ireland at a rather worrying rate.
That day cemented in.my mind that you can't rely on Sib oars to get you out of the myre!

I decanted a 5 litre Jerry can into the 12 litre Tohatsu tank primed her, fired her up and headed into harbour.
That day will always remain in my thoughts every time I get in my Sib - that's why I like the notion of having an auxiliary motor.
Furthermore I always carry at least 2 anchors to boot. :party
kaman
Super Poster

Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp

Postby sparerib » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:55 am

Gordon,

Looks like a great solution mate, the only thing I would be slightly concerned about would be, the turning force from the top of the outboard acting on the bottom of the wooden mount, which may rip the whole lot off (officialy called a moment in engineering circles.....given the need to use the aux the less "moments" sticky or otherwise the better!!). I would add another bracket either red, or blue in my pic. If you went blue then it could just be the same agian onto another mount like the one you have already or red fixed to the existing tube......
sparerib
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 340
Outboard: Yamaha 30hp 4 stroke

Postby Si Crowe » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:22 pm

sparerib wrote:Gordon,

Looks like a great solution mate, the only thing I would be slightly concerned about would be, the turning force from the top of the outboard acting on the bottom of the wooden mount, which may rip the whole lot off (officialy called a moment in engineering circles.....given the need to use the aux the less "moments" sticky or otherwise the better!!). I would add another bracket either red, or blue in my pic. If you went blue then it could just be the same agian onto another mount like the one you have already or red fixed to the existing tube......

as per my post. it's a great idea but and additional post above to the transom imho squash any issues i had in my head.
If it has t*ts, tyres or floats......it's gonna cost ya!
Si Crowe
Veteran Member

Boat Make: DS110 & Seago 240 SIB
Outboard: 2xPerkins Sabres 225HP, 4HP Suzuki 2Stroke

Postby kaman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Howdy guys, yup I hear your concerns.
Don't know how much thrust / stress the wee egg beater will impart on the set up compared to what the dog legged wheels with a heavy 4 stroke on the transom imparts ??

20170625_123206.jpg

The engine and bracket for that matter, will be attached to the sib via a lanyard - just incase.
I've got a second identical post which I had toyed with making a second bracket to receive it on the transom above where the wheel bracket is located.

However....... I dunno if I can be arsed, or whether I really want to drill more holes in the transom.
It's only ever going to be as a limp home mode of transport so might hedge my bets on that.
I'm going to stick some larger washers on the wooden mount as well as covering it with 5mm pvc either side.

Second coat of paint drying in the shed drying just now, will decide over the weekend whether to use second post or whether to leave as is and be very light on the throttle :?:
kaman
Super Poster

Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp

Postby sparerib » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:27 pm

I get what your saying about limp home and it would probably be fine !!!

Looking at my blue and red lines, I would add that extra mount and turn your engine mount upside down, and fix to the top mount with the diagonal brace going into the existing bottom mount, would give a more direct push for the engine and a diagonal brace aswell.....
either way hope you never use it !!!
sparerib
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 340
Outboard: Yamaha 30hp 4 stroke

Next

Return to DIY & Modifications