Switch to full style
All things outboard related here!
4 Stroke, 2 Stroke & Electric
Post a reply

Charging from a Suzuki DF20AS

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:07 am

Hi folks

I'm looking for some help. I'd like to start installing some electrical gadgets on the boat, but I need to start with being able to charge a battery from my 2017 Suzuki DF20AS.

The manual suggests this is possible, but is incredibly vague as to what components I would need, or even ask for!

If anyone has done this, or knows what to do, I would be most grateful for any pointers. Especially if this means it's something I can do without a trip (and very long wait) to my local Suzuki dealer!

:cheers

Steve

Re: Charging from a Suzuki DF20AS

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:40 am

Steve wrote:Hi folks

I'm looking for some help. I'd like to start installing some electrical gadgets on the boat, but I need to start with being able to charge a battery from my 2017 Suzuki DF20AS.

The manual suggests this is possible, but is incredibly vague as to what components I would need, or even ask for!

If anyone has done this, or knows what to do, I would be most grateful for any pointers. Especially if this means it's something I can do without a trip (and very long wait) to my local Suzuki dealer!

:cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,
I looked into this some time ago for my old df15, unfortunately it was going to work out that expensive that i ditched the idea.
IIRC, you needed a loom, rectifier/regulator which only seemed to be available from the dealers who wanted blood/sweat/tears & limbs.
What your wanting to do is basically change your pull start outboard to an electric start outboard without the ring gear and starter.
Expensive !!!!

Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:45 am

Hi Steve

I recently added a rectifier to my 2010 Tohatsu MFS 20hp to allow me to charge my on board battery .
I called my local boat shop / Tohatsu dealer and priced up the parts required.
It turned out to be much cheaper than I anticipated..
The genuine Tohatsu rectifier kit was £65.20
Including fitting and a 5m length of charging cable it cost me £100 all in.
On my overnight exploring jollies the charging facility is invaluable, even running fixed DSC VHF, fishfinder, plotter and charging phone / hand held VHF etc the battery never drops below 13+ volts on the volt metre.
I know that adding electric start to my tohatsu would be silly money and would require a different fly wheel + starter etc etc.
I know someone who added a rectifier kit to their Suzuki 25hp and it was roughly the same cost as my tohhatsu.
I see you are in FIFE..
Give Cameron a ring at Clyde Outboards in Port Glasgow and have your engine serial number etc.
He will be able to tell you exactly what you need and how much it will cost. :drive

Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:01 pm

Hi Steve.
Any joy with getting your outboard rigged for charging battery?

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:57 pm

I did a little homework on this again last night.
There's many out there saying you can pull 6amp direct from the onboard electrics.... I found this a little suspicious, and rightly so. Yes the outboard does kick out a small feed, but its not to be used for anything other than the outboard ecu etc... The manual stipulates obtaining the correct equipment from your local Suzuki dealer to get the output you require.
As Kaman says, it looks very much like a rectifier and you'll be good to go :thumbsup

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:10 am

Hi Kaman, no not yet. Haven't had much time recently...

I did find the parts listed online though: http://www.palynch.co.uk/partnumber.asp?pnid=499535

I still like the idea but it might become a winter project!

Cheers

Steve
Post a reply