Shambles bank, Weymouth

Tell us about your fishing experiences here...
Sib or F Rib fishing, we want to hear all about it
ArcusFlyer
Boat Make: F-RIB 360
Outboard: Suzuki DF20 & DF2.5
MMSI Number: 10

Shambles bank, Weymouth

Post by ArcusFlyer » 13 Sep 2018, 20:24

A long time ago when I was a little boy I was on a wreck fishing charter boat out of Whitby. One of the guys pulled in a massive turbot on a jigger (!).The seasoned skipper was utterly gobsmacked both at the size of it and the fact that they were so rare off Whitby. It looked like a huge brown bin lid coming up from the depths.

Since then Ive always wanted to catch a turbot from a boat and research has shown that the shambles bank off weymouth is one of the most well documented good turbot marks in uk coastal waters.

From my reading I know these are not waters to be taken lightly with the rip/standing waves over the shambles and the portland race.

Just putting it out there for a general consensus and I know it is all based on experience. Given the right tide/weather conditions would it be considered feasible to fish this area in a f-rib. This isnt something Im planning to do in the short term though id love to. Just interested in opinions.

Thanks.

The Hobbit
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE2
Outboard: 1985 Yamaha 2 stroke 15 D
MMSI Number: 235904468

Re: Shambles bank, Weymouth

Post by The Hobbit » 16 Sep 2018, 21:01

Having just got back from there I think the weather / tides would have to be pretty calm. I witnessed the Portland tide race and it was hammering past there.
I'm not really a Hobbit, just look like one. Real name is "Andy".

Return to “SIB Fishing - Fishing from your inflatable boat”