4 Stroke, 2 Stroke & Electric
Phil
Advanced Member
Boat Make: F-RIB 360
Outboard: 15hp 1992 Johnson GT 10
MMSI Number: 10

When to change carb gaskets and float

Post by Phil » 27 Jul 2018, 15:01

Towards the end of a recent trip to Cornwall, my outboard started stalling under load and, eventually, at idle. It was also occasionally leaving a bit of a petrol/oil slick in the water. Having read up that this was probably a sticky carb float or blocked jet, I found the trick to keep the engine operational was to flutter the choke when putting the OB in gear until the revs had built up.

When I got back from Cornwall on Wednesday, I investigated the fuel system. I took apart the fuel pump, which looked fine, but noticed a split in the fuel hose going between this and the carb which I think was probably the main culprit. I snipped the split hose and reconnected it to the carb with a new jubilee clip.

Whilst the fuel hose was probably the route of the issue, I cleaned the spark plugs + removed the carb and cleaned and stripped it as much as I could to be sure. I couldn’t remove the float pin without braking/replacing it – it looked like it was plastic vs the metal pins on older models I’d seen in youtube videos.

I was expecting that I was going to need to spend £50 on an OEM carburettor rebuild kit, however – with a bit of cleaning (see slightly scummy gasket in picture) – the gaskets and float looked fine. There was no gunk elsewhere in the carb (e.g. the float bowl). I sprayed the carb jets with penetrating oil and pushed fishing line and blew air through all of them.
IMG_9664.jpg
Reassembling everything, the outboard now runs as sweetly as ever, which made me question at which point should you buy a carb rebuild kit and change the gaskets and float? Would you only do this if the gaskets were deteriorating/leaking or the float wasn’t level? I’m very happy to not spend another £50 if I don’t need to!

While looking for parts online, I also noticed you can pick up Chinese-made replacement units like this fuel pump for much less than the OEM gaskets and diaphragm-only part kit. Interesting to consider, although I guess the quality may be questionable with aftermarket stuff:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Pump-Ga ... 2478659796
F-RIB 360 with F-RIB wheels, seat cushions and bag and Scotty rod rests
15hp 1992 Johnson GT 10 2-stroke

Return to “Outboards”