Hi there

New to the forum?? Please pop in and say “Hi”
Introduce yourself and tell us about your boating interests/experiences or any other hobbies you may have.
Froglet
I'm New
Boat Make: Honwave T38 ie1
Outboard: Mariner Marathon 25hp
MMSI Number: 10

Hi there

Post by Froglet » 16 Apr 2018, 20:13

Hello all

Fabulously informative forum. Been doing lots of reading and thought I’d better join in.

I recently bought a 2nd hand Honwave T38 ie1. It came along with a 25HP Mariner Marathon, a trailer and various bits. The whole lot is in decent shape, but has seen a fair bit of use so I’m bound to have loads of questions as I bring it up to scratch. I’ve already found a few things that are less than ideal, but the boat has held good pressure for the last couple of weeks and the engine runs well (only ashore so far) so those are the main things.

Prior to buying the Honwave I’d been buzzing about the Thames and sheltered bits of North Norfolk coast in an Intex Mariner 3 with an old Archimedes Penta 5hp. I would describe the Intex as being the upper end of the “blow up toy” market, but I’m quite fond of it. It’s nice and light, but a flat bottom and screw-on transom hanging off the back meant some questionable handling. The little 70cc 2 stroke engine has been totally reliable while I’ve had it, but it dates from the early 70s so just slightly older than me. When I acquired the Archimedes, I know it hadn’t been run for at least 20 years, but after a quick check over and some fresh fuel it started on about the 10th pull. After that I stripped and cleaned the carb and fuel pump and retro-fitted a kill cord, then it was good to go.

I only live a few minutes from the Thames so that’s where the new boat will see its first adventures in my ownership. I have my eye on a nearby lake as well, but fear the fees may be a bit steep. I have the insurance sorted and the Thames registration is submitted, so once the current swollen flow subsides I’ll be out for a little potter about. The Intex would struggle to even reach the speed limit. I’m concerned the Honwave may be slightly the opposite. ;-)

After that who knows? I’m not really a fisherman, but I do have a little bit of very basic kit and a brother in law with lots of fishing experience. I like a bit of a snorkel so have vague fantasies about boating around some of the more inaccessible bays down in Cornwall. And I’ve spent some memorable times exploring the West coast of Scotland by motorbike and would love to see it by boat. Sadly the two are not particularly compatible….. although… sib in car, bike on trailer? Hmmm, looks at bike trailers on eBay…

Cheers

Simon

Martin
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Re: Hi there

Post by Martin » 16 Apr 2018, 20:58

Hi Simon, great to have you aboard the forum.
The T38ie is a cracking boat, I also used to own the series one and they are very well built.
That’ll go like hell with a 25 stroker on it so be very very careful on your maiden voyage.

Enjoy the forum, if you need help with anything just yell :help
We’ll do our best to assist you.

Martin :cheers
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Paul
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479

Post by Paul » 16 Apr 2018, 22:40

Hi there Simon and :welcome to the forum :)
Great introduction and from the sounds of it you've got yourself a nice setup there 8-)
You'll not go short on ideas or help on here as the Honwave's are proving to be a very popular indeed :thumbsup
Keep an eye on the Events section if you fancy going boating in company :idea:
Any help required then just ask :chat
Good to have you aboard
:cheers
I walked through the door marked 'EXIT' and life is now good!

Steve
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE2
Outboard: Suzuki DF20AS
MMSI Number: 235902190

Post by Steve » 17 Apr 2018, 07:38

Hi Simon and :welcome

Hope you enjoy your new T38 - you should have some cracking adventures...

:cheers

Steve

Paul B
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T38ie2
Outboard: Suzuki df9.9 (15hpconversion)

Post by Paul B » 17 Apr 2018, 08:07

Hi Simon. And welcome to the forum from a fellow T38 owner :welcome
Chief Cook and Bottle washer
TRALEE BAY FISH N CHIPS

Honwave T38ie2 Suzuki DF 9.9 (15hp) conversion
Scooter perception kayak
Gosea fishing kayak

warder54
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 360 + Smartwave 480
Outboard: Mar 15 2 st
Yam 60 efi
Toh 5 4 st
Toh 20 efi

Post by warder54 » 17 Apr 2018, 12:20

Hi Simon and welcome. Make sure your floor is well up to pressure after being in the water for 10 - 15 minutes, if it's not you will have some "interesting" handling and planning problems :-)
Why am I here - I should be in my boat fishing!!
Mike Elliott

Andy B
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Zodiac 380
Outboard: Mariner 9.9hp/Mariner 3.3hp

Post by Andy B » 17 Apr 2018, 12:21

:welcome
SOLENT
Waveline 2.3m/3.3hp Mariner
Zodiac 380/ Depends on the Day!

Froglet
I'm New
Boat Make: Honwave T38 ie1
Outboard: Mariner Marathon 25hp

Post by Froglet » 21 May 2018, 20:25

Thanks for the welcome. I've been picking over past threads for tips and getting my stuff ready so now here's a little update.

After a bit of a false start on the Early May Bank Holiday (more on that in a second) I was able to make it onto the Thames for a great day out in the sunshine last week.

I picked up a sack trolley from the local hardware store and pondered various ways of making it suitable for carrying the 25hp outboard. While I can lift it on and off the boat I really don’t want to be carrying it more than a couple of feet if possible.
Initially I attached a wooden board across the uprights and hung the engine like most trolleys, but found the weight all wrong and it was horribly top heavy and unstable.

Inspired by pictures posted by The Gurnard I cut a small section out of the back of the trolley then bolted a chunk of wood to the base plate. The skeg fits into a groove in the wood and the engine cowl rests, back to front on soft pipe lagging. A ratchet strap round the motor keeps it stable when in motion. The upper wheels mean that I can just lay the trolley down to fit or empty a flushing tub and the wheels work wonders for sliding the engine into the back of the car. When putting it in the car the trolley handle and wheels pop off and refit with R-clips to make the whole thing pretty compact.

In the picture the engine is receiving cooling water via flush muffs, but the tub is there the deaden the insane 2-stroke exhaust racket. I like my neighbours. I’d like the feeling to be mutual. :D
Motor1.jpg
So with trailer and engine transport methods sorted I headed out with the family and launched at a local spot on the Thames on the very hot Bank Holiday Monday. Got everything ready to go, boat all packed and the engine was ready to burst into life with a pull or two….. or ten….. or 100??!! What the hell??

I drained the carb and checked all the usual things. Fuel didn’t seem to be a problem and the engine had run fine in the garden a few days before. Unfortunately, I didn’t have anything to remove the plugs with me (stupid oversight given a background with 2-strokes) so rather than keeping the family hanging around I called it a day and took them home while I picked up the trailer.

At home I checked the spark plugs and they looked like they’d been dipped in marmite. After a quick clean I stuck them back in and the engine started second pull. Typical!

Fast forward to last Tuesday and the weather forecast predicted 23 degrees and clear skies so I took a day off work and went for a solo run. Parking was a lot easier and I got the boat in the water without any trouble. Then the moment of truth…. And the engine started second pull again. Excellent!

Next challenge was to manoeuvre out of the cramped mooring area with a vessel and engine I’d never used before, without bouncing my way out like a PVC pin ball. I rowed into some clear space, stowed the oars and dumped the engine into gear. Even at idle it moved along at a decent pace, but I managed to escape the mooring without smashing into anything.

Once onto the open river I headed downstream to get a feel for the motor and ran into the first problem. Keeping to the 5mph speed limit! I was in fact exceptionally cautious and gradually worked my way up to a few notches either side of the limit. I was keen to see what effect the speed had on wake size and whether it would actually reduce as speed increased and the boat lifted out of the water…. But then that seemed to be getting a bit too fast for the leisurely speed limits so I quit messing about and turned around to head upstream for a bit of sightseeing.
Thames2.jpg
Thames1.jpg
Cracking weather and a nearly deserted river made for a lovely peaceful morning. I headed up through a few locks as far as Hambleden then turned around to head home with time running out. That’s only about 10 miles of river in about 3 hours, including lock transition time, working out to about 3mph average. Funny to think that the Honwave could probably do it in under half an hour given no speed limit and lucky lock timing.

Once back at my starting point I moored the boat and headed off to pick up the kids from school, then back to the Honwave for a quick blast up to the next lock and back with the nippers on board. They loved it. Lots more space than the last one.

I want to get a feel for the potential speed of this little boat now so the plan is to hit a bit of salt water at the earliest opportunity. When and where remains to be decided.

Cheers

Simon :thumbsup

Martin
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 21 May 2018, 20:44

A cracking follow up post and it sounds like you got the smiles for miles, well- three of them ... :clappy
There’s plenty of chaps down your way Simon so keep your eye on the events section or maybe post one of your own?

In regard to the outboard, Maybe the 2smoke mix is a little oil heavy?

Great to hear more positive feedback regarding he forum, thanks for that as it really does make a difference.
We try real hard to keep it very informative for newbies, never feel afraid to ask questions on here, we’ve all had to learn at some point.

Enjoy the purchase buddy and keep the updates coming :yay

Martin :thumbsup
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Andy B
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Zodiac 380
Outboard: Mariner 9.9hp/Mariner 3.3hp

Post by Andy B » 21 May 2018, 20:55

Froglet wrote:The engine had run fine in the garden a few days before.
That'll be the title of my next Book :rofl
Great write up :thumbsup
SOLENT
Waveline 2.3m/3.3hp Mariner
Zodiac 380/ Depends on the Day!

Return to “Introduce Yourself --------- *******NEW MEMBER”