Loch Ken & Brighouse Bay Holiday Parks

Do you knoew of a Caravan,Tent or Motorhome Site where you can launch a SIB/FRIB or small RIB ?
Here's a perfect place to list those superb sites....
Cliff
Advanced Member
Boat Make: Highfield CL310 Rib
Outboard: tohatsu 20hp efi

Loch Ken & Brighouse Bay Holiday Parks

Post by Cliff » 30 May 2018, 21:02

Loch Ken Holiday Park: A basic but very nice quiet park with onsite launching. Clean and well kept, miles from anywhere. costs are £8 a day to launch or £35 per year. For that you have to display stickers from the local council, which the site provide : these have to be displayed on either side of the boat. I opted for the tie on boards, which set me back another £8, well worth it not to have stickers on the boat. (If you get the yearly stickers, don't lose them or you'll have to pay again. Year runs from March 31st)
Loch Ken 002.JPG
Speed limit is 10mph except in the waterski area, which is 45mph. :waterski about 1.5 miles long both ways and is anti clockwise, Good on yer if you can get that speed.
The loch is supposed to be patrolled by a warden, :busted but I never saw him in 6 days. :help Hazards are well marked with buoys, usually yellow. although I did spot a partly submerged tree. Swimmers and kayakers near the holiday park, so it's idle speed as a courtesy.
:no I did spot a kamikaze swimmer in the water ski zone, so gave that one a wide berth.
Loch Ken 004.JPG
Loch Ken 007.JPG
The loch is about nine miles long end to end and very beautiful and peaceful. Very popular with coarse fishermen and one or two polite ones :rofl Saw a 8 pound pike pulled out.. mainly pike and perch I was told.
When launching from it is advisable to have wheels down or row out to middle due to some submerged rocks, which are hard to spot near to shore.

Just up the road is Loch Ken Activity centre, which is water based supervised fun for kids and adults alike. Thirty odd quid for the day including wetsuits, popped in for a cuppa and a look, looked well run and professionally supervised. Kids were loving it.

Brighouse Bay Holiday Park: Forgot the camera, sorry no pics. I thought we'd check it out for the future. This is a BIG holiday park with lots to do, including golf and horse riding. Loads to do for kids with its own sandy beach and woodland walks It has its own private concrete slipway (not near the beach) This is a bit of a leg to get to, with a steepish descent, so a vehicle is a must. I saw a sibber pulled by car on a launch trolley, and a guy with an inflatable in the back of a van. There is free parking near the slipway. It all seemed free and easy, with no supervision. The sibber told me he'd checked it out at low tide and the slip was accessible and no hazards that would cause a problem. It was high tide while I was there. I watched him launch with no problems and he blasted out and round the headland to my envy. :thud
These users thanked the author Cliff for the post (total 2):
Paul (30 May 2018, 22:03) • Gazzago (01 Jun 2018, 01:41)
96% of people are basically good, it's the 4% that f*ck up the world

daveh
Boat Make: Seapro 340
Outboard: Mercury 9.9 2 Smoke
Suzuki 15hp 4 Stroke

Re: Loch Ken & Brighouse Bay Holiday Parks

Post by daveh » 14 Jun 2018, 19:15

Happy days, look like you had a good Hol and some quality boating..
How was the new boat and engine, all good I trust?

Cliff
Advanced Member

Post by Cliff » 15 Jun 2018, 09:02

daveh wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 19:15
Happy days, look like you had a good Hol and some quality boating..
How was the new boat and engine, all good I trust?
All good thanks Dave, boat and engine performed well, weather was tropical, so we had a great time. First time I've fished in years :fishing and caught a couple of tiddler perch. Next Jolly will probably be Rhyl, there's a Caravan park right next to the new harbour. Checked it out the other day while taking the OB for its first service, looks like a good set up with a decent ramp. :cheers

Martin
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 15 Jun 2018, 09:35

Cracking stuff Cliff.
Looks like you’ve found a good site there and put the new tub through its paces.
Is the highfield as impressive as it looks then?
Did the journey go ok with the highfield on the roof?

Martin 👍🏻
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Cliff
Advanced Member

Post by Cliff » 15 Jun 2018, 14:24

Martin wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 09:35
Cracking stuff Cliff.
Looks like you’ve found a good site there and put the new tub through its paces.
Is the highfield as impressive as it looks then?
Did the journey go ok with the highfield on the roof?

Martin 👍🏻
Cheers Martin, It is a lovely place, the rib performed well and gets on the plane at just over idle, a quick burst and you're on. it felt stable at all times, even in turns at speed. The motor performed well up to 3/4 throttle, which was fast. when I got to the full throttle two minute bursts as per the break in schedule, the motor didn't give any more, I mentioned this to Mark at MES Marine when I took it for the service, He suggested the motor might be limited by the prop, so he gave me a new stainless prop with a different pitch to try out. I'll compare the two props next time I'm out. The journey was fine, no problems 60 mph up the M6 :drive just ahead of the damned lorry drivers :rofl I've since adapted the roofrack winch mechanism to load and unload better :cheers

daveh
Boat Make: Seapro 340
Outboard: Mercury 9.9 2 Smoke
Suzuki 15hp 4 Stroke

Post by daveh » 15 Jun 2018, 19:51

I bought my trailer and Dragonfly sounder from the good people at MES Marine. Good to hear they gave you a different prop to try out, that's customer service right there.. 👍👍

Return to “Camping/Caravan/Motorhome - Boat Launch Sites”