Are flares OK in an inflatable?

From VHF Calling to PFD's (Buoyancy Aids & Lifejackets)
Help, Advice and Discussions....
rogerblack Great Britain
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495

Are flares OK in an inflatable?

Post by rogerblack » 01 May 2016, 17:11

:wavey

I assume these are not forum members?

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/lo ... um=twitter

RNLI Video here: http://rnli.org/Pages/Video-Details.asp ... D=2qlvRsYT

Note they had no lifejackets, radio, GPS . . . the lifeboat helmsman* is quoted as saying: “We would always recommend that people are properly prepared before setting out on trips like this, especially on open water, such as the Forth. Necessary equipment should also include lifejackets, a VHF radio, flares, suitable all-weather clothing, a well maintained engine and a craft suitable for the conditions."

Can't argue with most of that; I always wear a suitable coastal lifejacket (with wave splash guard, light, whistle etc) and carry a VHF radio with DSC.

However I haven't carried flares, as I'm a bit wary of their suitability with inflatable boats - am I being overcautious?
Do others here carry them, if so what's the recommended type?
And how do you dispose of them when they run out of date?

Any feedback & advice would be welcome.

:cheers

*(or should we say 'helmsperson' in these PC days? I note the article uses the term 'helm' . . .) :roll:
cheers
Roger

:fishing
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”

Martin England
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Re: Are flares OK in an inflatable?

Post by Martin » 01 May 2016, 19:03

I think if I was going down that route Roger, I'd be more inclined to buy the laser flare...
Modern technology is great, EPIRBs, PLB, DSC VHF and EVDS are the way forward imo :Confused

Have a little read here buddy ..
http://www.rya.org.uk/cruising/Pages/Fl ... nduse.aspx
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

rogerblack Great Britain
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495

Post by rogerblack » 01 May 2016, 20:08

:wavey

Thanks Martin, they certainly look more suitable for potentially meltable boats!
I'm not likely to be out after dark, in fact as a fair weather boater I try to stick mostly to bright sunny days.
It would be good to see how visible they are in such bright ambient conditions; next time I'm in a chandlery I'll check if they have a demo unit.
I guess the main use is for the last bit of SAR beyond the accuracy of GPS.
My VHF radio does have a strobe light function, although of course that is white not red and only single direction.

:cheers
cheers
Roger

:fishing
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”

Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479

Post by Paul » 01 May 2016, 21:23

I'd be inclined to agree with Martins comments Roger because you and I tend to boat in busy waters.
Personally I've taken the route of having a hand held VHF with DSC which also displays my GPS position.....so that would be my first means of assistance.
As a back-up I've got a PLB to deploy if I can't raise any help via the radio.
To assist in my recovery I've a high powered LED torch like this http://www.feit.com/conserv_energy/flas ... ghts/72336 which apart from being very handy for many things has a very bright concentrated beam and will attract attention even in daylight and will flash a SOS or a strobe to assist recovery team of my location.
As we're on small boats I think it's important our equipment is attached to ourselves and not the boat :idea:

PeterM
Super Poster

Post by PeterM » 05 May 2016, 13:31

Ace question . I used to carry pyro flares on the big rib but moved away from them as I personally feel the DSC VHF & PLB actually serve me better and carry no risk to operate. Anyone who has set off a pyro flare - even in a controlled situation like sea survival training I think would all agree are ****ing hot and slightly if not very intimidating.

Commercial coding still requires them but personally I'd rather spend £180 on a PLB that anyone can use with little or no training . VHF DSC is the same for me .

There was an case of a RIB having accidentally set off flares by dropping them on the deck (which then caught for and tube melted :( )

I often mentally went through the what if cases prior to setting out in to poor weather or night trips - which included 'if I set a flare off I hold it as far out over the side of the boat as possible' - they can & do drip very hot bits which wont do your tubes any favours

I now carry VHF DSC / PLB & laser flare on my life jacket - my thinking is I want to be rescued - the boat can wait & is insured :) & I don't go more than a 5-10 miles off land.

If anyone is wanting to dispose of flares please have a google and see where you can take them - make an appointment and dispose of them properly . If anyone is down in Poole or Bournemouth its the RNLI HQ (Monday - Friday 9-5) - I have taken old ones in for mates as they were down at odd times. Same offer for anyone on here - I'm happy to run them in for you.

As an incentive its a good way to get hold of the plastic flare boxes - as the flares go in a metal locked container - the boxes get stacked up next to it and some nice asking can get them gifted :)

Pete

Gybemaster Great Britain
Boat Make: F-RIB 330
Outboard: Tohatsu M9.8 BS 2-stroke
MMSI Number: 235904051

Post by Gybemaster » 07 May 2016, 06:31

Does anyone know where I can buy one of these EVDS laser flares? They sound a good alternative to me.

Martin England
Supporting Member

Post by Martin » 07 May 2016, 09:05

Force4 have them on sale I think at the mo.
Try local chandlers to you maybe?
Where about a are you located ?

PeterM
Super Poster

Post by PeterM » 10 May 2016, 14:49

I knew I'd read this in the past ...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 09_WEB.pdf

page 74 - the flares went off by accident making short work of the deck & tubes :(

Gybemaster Great Britain
Boat Make: F-RIB 330
Outboard: Tohatsu M9.8 BS 2-stroke
MMSI Number: 235904051

Post by Gybemaster » 10 May 2016, 15:10

I think I will maybe get a couple of smoke flairs and a parachute. Will have a look for one of those laser flairs too.

Martin England
Supporting Member

Post by Martin » 10 May 2016, 20:50

Gybemaster wrote:I think I will maybe get a couple of smoke flairs and a parachute. Will have a look for one of those laser flairs too.
Lots of problems with flares these days, nobody wants to take out of date ones. they're not something I'd ever consider carrying/owning. The laser ones must be the way to go if you feel a need for them. But I stand by my earlier post :Confused
These users thanked the author Martin for the post:
Gybemaster (10 May 2016, 21:38)

Return to “Safety Devices, Equipment & Instruction”