Childrens life jackets

From VHF Calling to PFD's (Buoyancy Aids & Lifejackets)
Help, Advice and Discussions....
PaulR
Boat Make: FRib 360
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
MMSI Number: 10

Childrens life jackets

Post by PaulR » 15 Feb 2018, 20:12

So the time has come to look at suitable life jackets for the family. The auto inflate ones are not suitable as we will be spending time in the water while towing toys. The grand children range from 5 years to 14 years. In the past I have worn what I would class as a jet ski type, bulky and uncomfortable but with a certain amount of impact protection however these will not be suitable for the young ones. Has anyone got any suggestions for a suitable type of jacket for the young ones.
Thanks

DouglasW
Advanced Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Yamaha F15C
Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5

Re: Childrens life jackets

Post by DouglasW » 20 Feb 2018, 15:38

Hello Paul, I got my grandson age 4.5 years a Gul Dartmouth 100N child life jacket. It is available in 4 sizes. With this sort of jacket on a child, it is very important to use the crotch strap.

A cheap wetsuit is a great idea to keep children warm in the water. Thom starts to shiver after 20 minutes in a 28C swimming pool.

Douglas
These users thanked the author DouglasW for the post:
PaulR (20 Feb 2018, 19:11)

PaulR

Post by PaulR » 20 Feb 2018, 19:15

Thanks Douglas they look just the job. We are looking at wetsuits for them and there seems to be plenty of cheap ones on flea bay. Thanks again for the response.

Martin England
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 20 Feb 2018, 19:47

My Daughter uses very similar, We bought the Baltic for her (Twice) Starting out at 3yr old, shes now 7 and still wears one of the same but a bigger size.
Her first was 100N foam life jacket, (Swimmers/none swimmers) CE certified and designed to turn the nippers over onto their backs even in an unconscious state.

It Zips at the front, and has ties at the bottom. The adjustable waste band is easy to work and it locks off where you set it to.
The collar is huge and looks like it will protect well and there's a very large grab handle at the rear of the jacket for lifting them back in the boat.... :? .
Mega bright, mega reflective, she says its very warm :lol:
IMG_2870.jpg
edit-image orientation
Crotch strap fitted and it doesn't hinder her in any way, there's a whistle under the collar at the front but its usually out whistling loudly and annoying the hell out of me... main point is though, she knows where it is and how to use it.

We tend to buy her ski suits as they are massively cheaper than wet suits, yes i know.... a ski suit isn't a wet suit lol, but lets face it at that young age they don't get the wear before they out grow them and she aint never gonna be out on the water if its iffy weather.

She's wearing one here whilst scoffing Pete's home made cake at Ullswater :lol:
IMG_2875.jpg
edit-image orientation

Consider tethers maybe too..... ?

Martin :cheers
These users thanked the author Martin for the post:
PaulR (20 Feb 2018, 19:56)
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

9-R Republic of Texas
Super Poster
Boat Make: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Outboard: Mercury 90hp EFI

Post by 9-R » 20 Feb 2018, 20:37

We got our family the neoprene life vests like this one: https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/connel ... id=4179803

The foam and exterior material are much softer and more comfortable than the others we tried. Our kids actually enjoy wearing them.
These users thanked the author 9-R for the post:
PaulR (20 Feb 2018, 21:37)
Wrote a note said, 'back in a minute'. Bought a boat and I sailed off in it.

PaulR

Post by PaulR » 20 Feb 2018, 21:36

Martin wrote:My Daughter uses very similar, We bought the Baltic for her (Twice) Starting out at 3yr old, shes now 7 and still wears one of the same but a bigger size.
Her first was 100N foam life jacket, (Swimmers/none swimmers) CE certified and designed to turn the nippers over onto their backs even in an unconscious state.

It Zips at the front, and has ties at the bottom. The adjustable waste band is easy to work and it locks off where you set it to.
The collar is huge and looks like it will protect well and there's a very large grab handle at the rear of the jacket for lifting them back in the boat.... :? .
Mega bright, mega reflective, she says its very warm :lol:

Crotch strap fitted and it doesn't hinder her in any way, there's a whistle under the collar at the front but its usually out whistling loudly and annoying the hell out of me... main point is though, she knows where it is and how to use it.

We tend to buy her ski suits as they are massively cheaper than wet suits, yes i know.... a ski suit isn't a wet suit lol, but lets face it at that young age they don't get the wear before they out grow them and she aint never gonna be out on the water if its iffy weather.

She's wearing one here whilst scoffing Pete's home made cake at Ullswater :lol

Consider tethers maybe too..... ?

Martin :cheers

Thanks Martin
Didn't think about tethers, great idea, looking into that now.
The ski suit would be good but they will be going in the water on occasion so I think wet suits would be the better option.
Never thought about the bloody whistles, thats going to be a complete pain in the backside when they start messing with them :sos
Thanks for the info.
Paul

Grahamdavies1989 England
Newish Member, But I Like It Here

Post by Grahamdavies1989 » 07 Sep 2019, 15:57

@Martin @PaulR After the whistle comments I have now decided not to buy a SIB. Thank you for the brilliant advice. You have saved what little is left of my ear drums!

:yay :IANW :rofl

Sarah Great Britain
Supporting Member

Post by Sarah » 08 Sep 2019, 06:07

:rofl
Grahamdavies1989 wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 15:57
@Martin @PaulR After the whistle comments I have now decided not to buy a SIB. Thank you for the brilliant advice. You have saved what little is left of my ear drums!

:yay :IANW :rofl
Please feel free to ask questions about training & RYA qualifications, if you're not local we will try to point you in the right direction!
Dorset Marine Training, Poole - 01202 901267, www.dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk
sarah@dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk

Return to “Safety Devices, Equipment & Instruction”