Life jackets

From VHF Calling to PFD's (Buoyancy Aids & Lifejackets)
Help, Advice and Discussions....
chris moody Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
MMSI Number: 235900806

Re: Life jackets

Post by chris moody » 11 Apr 2018, 08:08

Sounds like a bargain. Worth giving them a check over before use, and doing an overnight inflation test. I even do that with my brand new ones before I wear them.
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8

Namibiafrank
Boat Make: Honda Honwave T40
Outboard: Honda BF20
MMSI Number: 235916865

Post by Namibiafrank » 11 Apr 2018, 11:52

Martin wrote:Bargain, What’s the cartridge dates ?
Just saw this and thought idd check, is the date on the cannister when you need to replace or when purchased?
I've had my seago now for eight months never tested or checked :no
Should the cartridge be replaced yearly?
Thanks Frank,

Paul B Great Britain

Post by Paul B » 11 Apr 2018, 13:27

Frankelsbikes wrote:
Just saw this and thought idd check, is the date on the cannister when you need to replace or when purchased?
Thanks Frank,
There is a date printed on the plastic part of the gas kit on a auto which tells you when it needs replacing, not sure on a manual cylinder
Attachments
AEE6232A-6CBD-4957-BEC2-3B9B5F912019.png

Martin England
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 11 Apr 2018, 17:44

When I asked Paul the question it was to question if the seller had reduced them as the canister/firing mech expiry may expire before the warranty period of the pfd. Hence a bargain price.

To test a jacket, you can inflate by mouth or pump to the desired inflation pressure and test over a 24hr period for leaks etc. If you turn the plug around you’ll find a deflateing device.

The gas cylinder will have a weight stamped on it, weigh it and ensure the weight is bang on, also look for any sign of damage or corrosion to the cylinder and mechanisms.

Rightly or wrongly, if the weight was correct and no damage to the cylinder, I personally probably wouldn’t replace the cylinder but I would probably replace the lot of the mech was out of date.
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Post by chris moody » 11 Apr 2018, 18:43

The United Moulders auto mechanisms have date of expiry stamped on them. The Halkey Roberts have a date of manufacture stamped on them and the usage life is 3 to 6 years depending on the model http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/pdf/pdf411.pdf

So what the date actually means depends on if you have United Moulders or Halkey Roberts auto mechanisms.

When doing the inflation test always remove the gas cylinder throughout the whole operation. Dumping 33g or 38g of compressed gas into an already inflated lifejacket bladder isn't going to end well.

If the cylinder has no corrosion and weighs above the stamped minimum gross weight they it's perfectly fine to reuse it. Once it drops below the stamped weight or it is rusty / corroded discard and replace the gas cylinder.

Martin wrote:When I asked Paul the question it was to question if the seller had reduced them as the canister/firing mech expiry may expire before the warranty period of the pfd. Hence a bargain price.

To test a jacket, you can inflate by mouth or pump to the desired inflation pressure and test over a 24hr period for leaks etc. If you turn the plug around you’ll find a deflateing device.

The gas cylinder will have a weight stamped on it, weigh it and ensure the weight is bang on, also look for any sign of damage or corrosion to the cylinder and mechanisms.

Rightly or wrongly, if the weight was correct and no damage to the cylinder, I personally probably wouldn’t replace the cylinder but I would probably replace the lot of the mech was out of date.
Chris Moody

Post by chris moody » 11 Apr 2018, 18:58

Personally I'd be dismantling and checking that before you next wear it, including an overnight inflation test.

I inflation test my own jacket before it gets worn from new, and then do a six monthly inflation test.

My lifejacket will no doubt at some point in my boating career save my life, so I want to personally know that it's going to work correctly when needed.

Around half of the customers lifejackets that I have inspected on PB2 or Intermediate training courses have had a fault that may have rendered them inoperable (loose gas cylinders, empty gas cylinders, not attached gas cylinders, fired auto mechanisms, expired auto mechanisms, manual toggle tucked away inside jacket, badly damaged bladders, etc).

Paul B wrote:
Frankelsbikes wrote:
Thanks Frank,
There is a date printed on the plastic part of the gas kit on a auto which tells you when it needs replacing, not sure on a manual cylinder
Chris Moody

Paul B Great Britain

Post by Paul B » 11 Apr 2018, 22:10

It’s also not recommended to inflate a lifejacket by mouth, as your breath has moister in it, and over a period of time it can result in mildew growing inside the bladder of the jacket, rendering it useless eventually

Paul B Great Britain

Post by Paul B » 11 Apr 2018, 22:13

Forgot to say the canister are still in date until next year, however I’ve just ordered a couple of spare rearming kits for them, so even with the new kits they stand me at £40 each

Martin England
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 11 Apr 2018, 22:51

Paul B wrote:It’s also not recommended to inflate a lifejacket by mouth, as your breath has moister in it, and over a period of time it can result in mildew growing inside the bladder of the jacket, rendering it useless eventually
That’s what I always thought, apparently no longer true and manufacturers state it’s ok to do so.. :LMT
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Paul B Great Britain

Post by Paul B » 11 Apr 2018, 23:07

Martin wrote:
Paul B wrote:It’s also not recommended to inflate a lifejacket by mouth, as your breath has moister in it, and over a period of time it can result in mildew growing inside the bladder of the jacket, rendering it useless eventually
That’s what I always thought, apparently no longer true and manufacturers state it’s ok to do so.. :LMT
When I did my PB2. Ryan showed a picture of a life jacket which had been inflated by mouth, Not nice :|

Return to “Safety Devices, Equipment & Instruction”