Useful Apps (tablet or smartphone) for Sibbers

From VHF Calling to PFD's (Buoyancy Aids & Lifejackets)
Help, Advice and Discussions....
9-R Republic of Texas
Super Poster
Boat Make: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Outboard: Mercury 90hp EFI

Re: Useful Apps (tablet or smartphone) for Sibbers

Post by 9-R » 08 Feb 2017, 13:27

Do any of your phone screens get washed out in the daylight? Also, how do you protect it from water splashing?

I had tried to use my phone on our SIB and it was worthless because of the sun. Never could see anything on the screen no matter how bright I made it.
Wrote a note said, 'back in a minute'. Bought a boat and I sailed off in it.

albasmac
Newish Member, But I Like It Here
Boat Make: F-rib 375
Outboard: Honda BF20
MMSI Number: 10

Post by albasmac » 08 Feb 2017, 13:37

I suppose it depends on your screen type, some are a lot better than others in the sun.
My phone is waterproof so some splashes aren't a problem.
I did have problems using the camera as the screen just kept going blank. Turns out it was my polarised sun glasses! they seem to filter out everything on the screen. I thought my phone was on the blink.
I'm sure I read some where that a matt screen protector helps in bright light but couldn't say for sure.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Martin England
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 08 Feb 2017, 14:02

I use the iPad and iphone without issue.
I do tend to keep the phone in a waterproof bag just in my pocket, but the iPad is in a (Lifeproof) waterproof case that seals around the screen itself. Easy to see and operate in the sun.
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

chris moody Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
MMSI Number: 235900806

Post by chris moody » 08 Feb 2017, 18:51

I tend to stop the sib if I want to get the smartphone out to:
1. take a picture
2. check something on the charts
3. check a tidal height

When on the move the phone stays in the drybag. When stationary there is much less chance of water splashing around, and you can usually get the screen into shade by turning around.
9-R wrote:Do any of your phone screens get washed out in the daylight? Also, how do you protect it from water splashing?

I had tried to use my phone on our SIB and it was worthless because of the sun. Never could see anything on the screen no matter how bright I made it.
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8

mattswan2512
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.

Post by mattswan2512 » 09 Feb 2017, 10:37

The samsung galaxy s7 is waterproof to 2m for 30 mins so no screen spash concern for me....ive answered a call from the wiff in the shower before with no dramas so mine sits in a phone holder when im going along and i use saildroid for accurate gps over ground speeds. I do however sit it in a motorcycle style dry bag with clear screen so u can operate it still as if i hit a wave it will float if it falls overboard.

As my phone is my only descent comms and navigation its vital for me to keep it safe.
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.

Martin England
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 09 Feb 2017, 11:09

:gayslap It'll also keep his hands warm and heat a kettle with it's defective battery :clappy
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

The Gurnard
Super Poster
Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP
Has thanked: 0

Post by The Gurnard » 09 Feb 2017, 13:04

I guess my age shows in this post.. but here goes anyhoo.. :twisted:

I use charts (OS maps ) and a compass. I have a handheld VHF without DSC because the battery lasts much longer than one with DSC..and I don’t really need DSC because in ten seconds.. I can get my coordinates off the paper map. As a last resort..if I couldn’t work out the coordinates (because perhaps I might go blind ..and I do want to cover all bases) I have a PLB which will send them for me.

I do carry a smart arse phone..but only for entertainment purposes. If the battery goes flat..its no great loss. It is handy to crank up some music if Im in that kind of mood ... and headphones don’t disturb other boaters peace and quite. I personally don’t like hearing others blare out their super cool music over ghetto blaster systems .. as normally I go to sea to escape that kind of annoyance. Each to their own though. I also sometimes run the GPS on my smart arse phone as it plots my journey so I can see how far I have gone etc..but again..its only for entertainment value.

I do find the calculator in the phone very useful though. I use it to count how much gravy ballast is left in the bilges of the boat. I tend to forget that important kind of info as the day gets on. On those kind of days .. I keep the phone in an Aquapac bag.. totally waterproof ..and touch screen friendly. I have few mates now as most have died of old age or boredom ..so calls are few and far between...so again.. I wont panic if I can’t make or receive a call or text.
a92101001313a.jpg
a92101001313a.jpg (41.62 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
If the sun came out.. looking at the phone would be the last thing on my mind.. a quick yank of the kill cord will stop me nicely .. sun cream out .. shades on.. gravy tin opened to celebrate its arrival .. then just lie back and absorb the warmth..like a big lizard basking on a hot rock. If I was on a dry day.. I may make a coffee instead of gravy.
P1150876.jpg
While perhaps dangling a wee worm in the water too... I catch more fish with nice smelly bait than I do with sterile smell less apps.
Loch_Fyne_218.jpg
Yup..there is more important things than apps or sugary tablet stuff for my kind of boating.. so roll on the blue sky days..they are coming again soon
Loch_Fyne_43.jpg
Now..I ask you youngsters ..am I missing something important by living an app’less life ? :?

mattswan2512
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.

Post by mattswan2512 » 09 Feb 2017, 13:38

Martin wrote::gayslap It'll also keep his hands warm and heat a kettle with it's defective battery :clappy
Thats the galaxy s7 note martin :rofl
Oh and when they put the iphone whatever it is these days in the water alongside the samsung it lasted about 9 mins and turned into a water pistol as you could squirt water out the phone jack........

Samsung for me over Mr heriditory i phone every time.
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.

DaveRolph
Boat Make: F-Rib 360
Outboard: Suzuki DF15AS

Post by DaveRolph » 11 May 2017, 05:53

I was not sure if it was better to start a new thread or continue with an old one (I am sure Martin will be along soon with some advice).

The question is does the Navionics give everything I need :-

I was to be able to track my movements, see water depth and be able to navigate "Back to Home Port", how much do I really need to spend to get all this in one app ?

Thanks in advance

Paul
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479

Post by Paul » 11 May 2017, 22:25

I've a Lowrance HDi with Navionics maps which works great and very detailed but it's expensive :o :(
As you're starting out there's a good app Andy B pointed out previously called Embark which you can use on your computer and your mobile device https://letsembark.io/start/front :Link
It'll get you going and you can familiarise yourself of the area you intend to go boating/fishing in to choose your marks :idea:
:cheers
These users thanked the author Paul for the post:
DaveRolph (12 May 2017, 06:57)

Return to “Safety Devices, Equipment & Instruction”