Frib 460 S

Review your current or previously owned boats in specific detail, A users review is an honest review..
Explain your experiences good or bad - regarding usability, portability, practicality, outboard requirements and general experience of ownership.
PLEASE START A NEW THREAD FOR EACH MAKE & MODEL REVIEW
DrHair

Re: Frib 460 S

Post by DrHair » 24 May 2017, 10:54

Nah, just teasing you Gurnard!
Very smooth transition from displacement to planing but it was flat water. Next time I'll hopefully go out to sea.
Well spotted with my deliberate typo - indeed the 3.5 is a 4 stroke, the 9.8 is 2 stroke.
I'll sort out a YouTube account and upload some video

The Gurnard
Super Poster
Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP
Has thanked: 0

Post by The Gurnard » 24 May 2017, 11:51

No problem DrHair.. Im just happy things are working out for you. :D

I would be upset getting a mast like the one you got..and it broke the first time I used it...so I do sympathise on that issue. You seem to have more patience than me :oops: I am interested in the boat you have .. as I thought about getting the Frib 2.75 sail version when I bought my own Frib 2.75 non sail version

Hopefully Steve will also send on the manual.

I eventually remembered the post that I replied to when someone else asked about a manual.. here is the reply ..for info only. I cant confirm if its the same for the F Rib 460S but it does cover the other models. Unfortunately I deleted the full manual. There is not much to the manual..but it did mention something like “the hull seals may leak until the revolutionary design seals itself” whatever that means. It must have been on one of the missing pages. Mine still weeps a little water for the first five minutes ..then seals itself.
Page5.jpg
Page6.jpg

Hopefully you can now enjoy the boat..and I looking forward to read some sailing info..i miss dinghys. :thumbsup

DrHair

Post by DrHair » 25 May 2017, 13:24

Thanks Gurnard, will keep you posted!
One thing to point out on the manual is right at the bottom line
Disassembly- reverse the procedure
But it does have an easily missed grey box stating the tubes have to be tacked inside otherwise they may be damaged.
Although it doesn't state the nature of that damage, it could include the problem I've had or it might be something else.
Anyway, I would recommend it's a much bigger, clearer warning, perhaps stating exactly what damage might happen eg tearing of the tubes!
Steve said he's updating the manual so I've humbly suggested that warning notice to him :)

DrHair

Post by DrHair » 26 May 2017, 20:47

As promised, short segment of video, with me trying to keep the speed down but once planing it really wanted to go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zExYqql1WcI

DrHair

Post by DrHair » 11 Jun 2017, 21:36

Quick update.
I went down to the Hamble and met up with Steve, who was very helpful and disappointed about the mast and my tube tears.

The mast rig is a work in progress - they did have a new one to try but the fitting wasn't ideal. It needs to be lightweight, slightly flexible but obviously strong! He's got an experienced sail maker on the case and hopefully will be available for me to try again in 4 weeks.

I demonstrated my single handed unfolding technique, which I think rather surprised him how it easy it was - probably easier than two guys doing it. :thumbsup In his words "he didn't think of doing it that way." The middle section on the floor and the outer sections folding inwards might become the standard way...

He could also understand what had happened with the tubes flopping outwards, then catching on the corners. He could see it happening when we Didn'tfold them inwards... So the simple answer is to put that in big letters in the new manual and perhaps in a video too. The Russian video with the two guys folding it is simply wrong IMHO.

Lastly some photos of Hamble and Chichester:
These users thanked the author DrHair for the post:
Paul (11 Jun 2017, 22:19)

Paul
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479

Post by Paul » 11 Jun 2017, 23:09

Thanks for the update DrHair.
That's great news you've managed to visit F-Rib HQ, meet with Steve and Ricky to discuss and demonstrate the unfortunate problems you've experienced :thumbsup
As you are currently the only 460 sail owner registered on here it's been difficult for myself and others to offer our best advice from photos and written explanation :(
I'm sure your visit demonstrating and speaking to Steve and Ricky about their product and it's future developments can only prove to be equally beneficial to both parties :D
Good reading and keep us updated on your other adventures with your boat ;-)
:cheers

DrHair

Post by DrHair » 19 Jun 2018, 20:38

Quick update
Have been out a number of times now, in Dartmouth and Chichester harbours.
I've had an issue with the mast (as above) but now have a sectional standard windsurfer mast which fits perfectly. I've had to improvise a boom whilst modifications are made to the original boom.
But it is now sailing well!
Makes quite good headway into the wind, although does lose steerage way very easily when tacking. Tracks straight though with a very adequate centreboard.
On a broad reach though, she flies! Keeps up with proper sailing dinghies with two sails... Feels very stable.
Only problem was at Chichester, probably a gusty Force 4 against an ebbing tide. The 460 has a pointy nose which goes through waves, not a blunt nose that rides above. With the choppy conditions and the wind behind, the 460 started submarining and water came onboard the front shell. I hadn't put the bow dodger on as I hadn't designed it for use when sailing, only motoring. Undoubtedly though, it would have solved the problem.
Saw Steve Bruce whilst at Chichester who seems twice as busy as last year. I'll probably experiment a bit and maybe produce a two sail version for lighter winds.
These users thanked the author DrHair for the post:
Paul (19 Jun 2018, 21:25)

Paul
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479

Post by Paul » 19 Jun 2018, 21:33

Thanks for the update DrHair :TY
Sounds like you're having fun with your 460 whilst under sail and motoring it :thumbsup
All part of our boating ownership fun, carrying out our 'mods to make it our own' ref the bow dodger and twin sail setup :clappy
Happy days matey :drive and keep us in the loop please ohyeh
:cheers

Return to “Boat Reviews & Specs”