Chat about anything here (within reason) Please keep it polite and PC
Paul
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479

Gone and sold my F-RIB

Post by Paul » 14 Feb 2018, 21:40

Sadly I've been forced to sell the F-RIB due to health issues and my now (adult) family of 5 out growing it :(
Over the past 6 months my ongoing L3 and C6 disc issues have made it almost impossible for me to tiller steer for any length of time. Pins and needles in my hands/arms then progress to numbness resulting in no throttle or grip on the tiller :cry: I suffer the same when driving my car but at least I'm able to swap hands (oh err missus) exercise the arm/hand to regain some feeling.
I had thought about fitting a steering console to the F-RIB however the seating height/console angle isn't suitable for someone with disc problems like me. It also reduces useable area within the boat, which is already an issue. So a slightly larger boat with upright steering is on the cards for me to continue my boating for hopefully a few more years.
I mentioned its possible sale to another forum member during another discussion and I'm pleased to say that my boat/setup fitted his 'needs' perfectly and the deal was done unexpectantly :o
So that's it folks, I'm on the hunt for the best boat to suit my current 'needs' ..... hopefully it'll still be welcome here and out on the water during 'boating in company' events :drive
Paul :cheers
These users thanked the author Paul for the post:
PaulR (14 Feb 2018, 22:09)
I walked through the door marked 'EXIT' and life is now good!

DouglasW
Advanced Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Yamaha F15C
Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5

Re: Gone and sold my F-RIB

Post by DouglasW » 14 Feb 2018, 22:02

Hello Paul, I am very sorry to hear this news but delighted to hear you are thinking of another boat that will better suit your back problems. A friend of mine on the Solway moved from a tiller steer RIB to a bigger RIB with a stand up console last year. He has had no regrets. He launches and recovers it himself from a break back trailer. But has had to invest in a 4x4 as well as a bigger boat!

My back has compressed 1.5 inches over the last year and I have a lot of back pain from this. I love my F-Rib but it is a very clattery ride in certain water conditions. When it is rough I use two cushions on the thwart seat and this higher position allows me to take some weight on my feet through bent knees.

Good luck,
Douglas :)

PaulR
Supporting Member
Boat Make: FRib 360
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
MMSI Number: 10

Post by PaulR » 14 Feb 2018, 22:02

Its bad news that due to medical conditions you are having to sell your F-Rib. I hope you will be happy with your next craft and that it becomes easier to spend more time afloat, from what you were telling me you will be getting a superb setup which the family will enjoy for years to come. :drive :bestwishes

I am pleased to say that after a discussion over the phone Paul has agreed to sell me his package at an excellent price. :respect

I cannot express how excited I am to be the lucky recipient of such a great package and cant wait to give it a run out. I will of course give it the mandatory front room set up experience much to the annoyance of my wife :asskick

Thanks again Paul :clappy

Andy B
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Zodiac 380
Outboard: Mariner 9.9hp/Mariner 3.3hp

Post by Andy B » 14 Feb 2018, 22:03

Paul wrote: hopefully it'll still be welcome here and out on the water during 'boating in company' events :drive
Paul :cheers
you'll always be welcome at my house mate....
SOLENT
Waveline 2.3m/3.3hp Mariner
Zodiac 380/ Depends on the Day!

mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.

Post by mattswan2512 » 14 Feb 2018, 22:18

Real sorry to hear that paul.... .will we still be seing you in bonny scotland?
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.

DouglasW
Advanced Member
Outboard: Yamaha F15C
Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5

Post by DouglasW » 14 Feb 2018, 22:28

Hi Paul , by complete coincidence I have just heard from another friend on the Solway. Due to a bad back, a broken ankle and a 50th birthday ,they have just sold their 360/20HP tiller steer RIB and bought a 5.5 Humber Destroyer with 100HP Yamaha 4stroke on the back for delivery 30th March when the caravan site opens. It is an expensive option but they trialled a Destroyer last year and were blown away by how smooth the deep V hull was in comparison with their clattery 360.

Douglas

Cliff
Advanced Member
Boat Make: Highfield CL310 Rib
Outboard: tohatsu 20hp efi

Post by Cliff » 14 Feb 2018, 22:54

Sorry to hear about your back problems Paul, nowt worse than back pain, hope things work out for you.
96% of people are basically good, it's the 4% that f*ck up the world

warder54
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 360 + Smartwave 480
Outboard: Mar 15 2 st
Yam 60 efi
Toh 5 4 st
Toh 20 efi
MMSI Number: 10

Post by warder54 » 14 Feb 2018, 22:55

Hi Paul, I'm very happy and impressed with my Smartwave 4800 centre console. I bought mine through Ivan Bell in Northern Ireland. His website is: http://www.riverlakesea.com/
And the Manufacturer website: http://smartwaveboats.co.nz/
I think you'll be impressed by the prices compared to a RIB - and virtually maintenance free
Why am I here - I should be in my boat fishing!!
Mike Elliott

Paul B
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T38ie2
Outboard: Suzuki df9.9 (15hpconversion)

Post by Paul B » 14 Feb 2018, 22:57

Sorry to see you’ve finally taken the plunge mate, I knew you struggled on the return trip on last years WW event, but I didn’t realise it was that bad, Just hope you find something more suitable for your needs soon , :thumbsup
Chief Cook and Bottle washer
TRALEE BAY FISH N CHIPS

Honwave T38ie2 Suzuki DF 9.9 (15hp) conversion
Scooter perception kayak
Gosea fishing kayak

The Hobbit
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE2
Outboard: 1985 Yamaha 2 stroke 15 D
MMSI Number: 235904468

Post by The Hobbit » 14 Feb 2018, 22:59

Oh no gutted to hear your news Paul. I'm guessing you already have your eye on a predecessor to your F-Rib? If you need to get the "biggun" out (oo-er) but cant muster a crew gimme a shout! Obviously only having met you once I had no idea but let's hope you can get back on the water and have a happy back too!!!!! :cheers :wedgie
I'm not really a Hobbit, just look like one. Real name is "Andy".

Return to “General Chat”