Noob

New to the forum?? Please pop in and say “Hi”
Introduce yourself and tell us about your boating interests/experiences or any other hobbies you may have.
Paul
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479

Re: Noob

Post by Paul » 05 Jan 2018, 00:12

the landshark wrote: TBH it was pretty hairy, took a big wave over the stern off Slyne Head and the weight of water pushed the floor out at the bow.
It separated about a metre back on both sides right to the front, it's an old boat ('96) but the glue seemed good.
Once i had retrieved my anchor and pulled the floor inside it ran fine for the four miles back to the launching point.
I was running downwind in a force 5 with a tohatsu 6, not really fast enough for the conditions but it is a lovely economical, lightweight motor for fishing with.
I bought the Honwave with a Mariner 15 so I don't get caught that way again.
In a following sea I find the safest place is climbing the back of a wave, the tohatsu was too slow to do that so I was surfing the swells (2-3 metre) when one broke over the stern.
Conditions change fast off the west coast and you can get caught out easily. Thankfully inflatables are bloody hard to sink.
Reading this brought back vivid memories to me :eek not a good situation Jim but sounds like you kept your cool despite the odds :clappy :thumbsup
Checking Zodiac seams for good adhesion seems very hit and miss as it's very dependant on UV deterioration and age as there's no way you can simulate stresses on the structure, the weight of the ingress of water on a given point on a seam to predict failure, torque or weight for a given outboard on the transom seams and the list goes on :roll:
Some say that an age of 10 years and above then the seams become an issue with Zodiacs however I've seen a boat used in the Med fall apart within 6 years so it's very dependant on use, maintenance and its storage :|
As you say with good preparation and ideal conditions you'll maybe able to address the issues with the Zodiac, enjoy it once again or maybe sell it on :scratch
Anyhoo, bring on the good weather and let's go :drive
:cheers
I walked through the door marked 'EXIT' and life is now good!

chris moody
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T32IE
Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8
MMSI Number: 235900806

Post by chris moody » 05 Jan 2018, 07:33

Climbing the back of the wave in a following sea is definitely the safest place to be. I find almost up to the crest, with the bow hanging just over the crest of the wave is best as it:

1. Puts you high up above the waves giving great visibility

2. Keeps you as far away as possible from the dangerous front face of the preceding wave

3. If the wave you are riding "breaks" it is very easy to go full throttle and jump to the back of the next wave in front

It sounds like you really know what you are doing in boats. Most people would "freak out" faced with a big hole opening up where the floor of their boat was, especially in a challenging sea. But you just dealt with it and got the boat home.

the landshark wrote: ..... I bought the Honwave with a Mariner 15 so I don't get caught that way again.
In a following sea I find the safest place is climbing the back of a wave, the tohatsu was too slow to do that so I was surfing the swells (2-3 metre) when one broke over the stern.
Conditions change fast off the west coast and you can get caught out easily. Thankfully inflatables are bloody hard to sink.
Chris Moody

Tiny Tigga - Honwave T32IE with launch wheels Honda 2hp 4 stroke air cooled & Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke
Tigga 2 - Ribcraft 4.8 Honda BF50
http://twitter.com/aslmarine

Phil
Advanced Member
Boat Make: F-RIB 360
Outboard: 15hp 1992 Johnson GT 10
MMSI Number: 10

Post by Phil » 07 Jan 2018, 12:07

the landshark wrote:TBH it was pretty hairy, took a big wave over the stern off Slyne Head and the weight of water pushed the floor out at the bow.
It separated about a metre back on both sides right to the front, it's an old boat ('96) but the glue seemed good.
Once i had retrieved my anchor and pulled the floor inside it ran fine for the four miles back to the launching point.
I was running downwind in a force 5 with a tohatsu 6, not really fast enough for the conditions but it is a lovely economical, lightweight motor for fishing with.
I bought the Honwave with a Mariner 15 so I don't get caught that way again.
Great (but scary!) story. Reassuring to hear quite how resilient inflatables can be in the right hands.

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F-RIB 360 with F-RIB wheels, seat cushions and bag and Scotty rod rests
15hp 1992 Johnson GT 10 2-stroke

Return to “Introduce Yourself --------- *******NEW MEMBER”