Hi from Portland Oregon!

New to the forum?? Please pop in and say “Hi”
Introduce yourself and tell us about your boating interests/experiences or any other hobbies you may have.
AquaticEngineer
I'm New
Boat Make: 2005 Pro Axess Odyssey
Outboard: 1985 Johsnon Seahorse 15HP
MMSI Number: 10

Hi from Portland Oregon!

Post by AquaticEngineer » 27 Sep 2017, 17:44

Hi all, I got an invite here from a guy over on the facebook group.

Just got out in my first SIB last weekend :) I scored a 2005 Pro Axess Odyssey from a neighbor for free and had all the bits left over from a previous zodiac that was stolen before I ever got it wet.

I absolutely love how well it moves with just a 15hp outboard on it but I'd love to hear from everyone what all I should be doing as far as basic upgrades or DIY tricks people have learned over the years :)

It didnt have a lanyard Killeen, just a stop button on the motor, so a killswtich is on its way already.

I'm still up in the air about putting a prop guard on it, and I've heard various opinions on doing so. I may go for a lower bottom type guard instead of the full surround, but would love to hear others experiences with both.

Also, is there any benefit to a hydrofoil on such a light weight boat/motor combo? It didn't seem to have any trouble getting up on a plane pretty quick as it is, but still curious if it would be a worth while add on.

Anyways, I'm here to learn and will be lurking and asking questions a bit :)

Cheers :)
Attachments
1506534233244188390782.jpg
20170917_103558_HDR.jpg
20170917_103628_HDR.jpg
20170917_103645_HDR.jpg
These users thanked the author AquaticEngineer for the post:
pugwash2 (01 Oct 2017, 12:51)

Paul B
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T38ie2
Outboard: Suzuki df9.9 (15hpconversion)

Re: Hi from Portland Oregon!

Post by Paul B » 27 Sep 2017, 18:23

Hi and welcome to the forum , great place to while away a spare moment or two, and fire away with the questions, I think you will find us a helpful bunch on ere :welcome
Chief Cook and Bottle washer
TRALEE BAY FISH N CHIPS

Honwave T38ie2 Suzuki DF 9.9 (15hp) conversion
Scooter perception kayak
Gosea fishing kayak

9-R
Super Poster
Boat Make: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Outboard: Mercury 90hp EFI

Post by 9-R » 27 Sep 2017, 19:49

Welcome! Sweet boat!

Lots of questions with answers pending a lot of circumstances.

I ran ours in the surf and around boulders and never found a need for a prop guard. I had looked into them but found too many negatives that outweighed the positives. Everyone I've seen running off of the beach never had one. We all did just the same by either having tall transom wheel legs or raised the engine and coasted in.

Some on here have had good performance with a hydrofoil where as I did not. I think the ones that benefited the most used more of a 'whale-fin' type. Ours was different and created drag. I had made my own aluminum compression plate like a permatrim that worked really well for our setup.

Anxious to see/hear about your outings in the Northwest.
Wrote a note said, 'back in a minute'. Bought a boat and I sailed off in it.

AquaticEngineer
I'm New
Boat Make: 2005 Pro Axess Odyssey
Outboard: 1985 Johsnon Seahorse 15HP

Post by AquaticEngineer » 27 Sep 2017, 19:57

Thanks for the input :) Most of trips with this boat will be lakes and Ocean beach's so I think the prop guard may not be needed like you said :) There is one specific spot here along the Oregon coast that I really want to dive called Cape Lookout. The south facing side of the cape is a sheer rock wall and the water is protected from waves and currents by the cape. Its only accessible by boat since its all private property to the south and no nearby boat ramps for miles. But on the north side of the cape is a state park that I can camp at and beach launch a SIB from then zip around the cape and dive with my surface fed system from the boat! Gonna be awesome!

9-R
Super Poster
Boat Make: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Outboard: Mercury 90hp EFI

Post by 9-R » 27 Sep 2017, 20:44

Oh yeah it will be! Got to get some GoPro footage for us if you don't already. I had always wanted to do the camping and boating at the beach with my son but the crime where we head to is too great to chance it. Instead we just go for day trips.

Every now and then we'll watch videos of some guys at the coast that lead off the beach and head out about 10 miles to some oil rigs to spear fish in their inflatables. You have anything like that?
Wrote a note said, 'back in a minute'. Bought a boat and I sailed off in it.

Paul
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479

Post by Paul » 27 Sep 2017, 21:10

Hi and :welcome to the forum :D
Nice setup you've bagged yourself there 8-) especially when it's a gift ohyeh
If your boat is easy to plane and performance its is good I'd leave well alone :| fitting a prop guard or fins unnecessarily would only hinder performance IMO :no
Sounds like you've some plans for the boat and some exciting adventures with it ahead :thumbsup
Good bunch of informative members on here, willing to share their experiences with a nice bit of banter along the way, so don't hesitate to ask about anything :chat
Good to have you aboard
:cheers
I walked through the door marked 'EXIT' and life is now good!

Martin
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 27 Sep 2017, 21:38

Greetings ... from your facebook chappie :clappy
Great you made it over, Welcome aboard :thumbsup

I used to run a Stingray junior on my honwave t38, for me it made a superb difference and after fitting it i never ran without it again. I spent hours on the web searching the do's and don't for the hydrofoil, So many different makes and designs, but the one i narrowed it down to was just perfection. My old honwave was great but it had a habbit of pointing to the sky when setting off, at that time my little girl screamed in fear, so i just had to do something about it.
Stingray fitted- no more bow rise, it planed at a lower speed and the porposing i encountered when at "wot" just about eliminated with the stingray.
As good as i think mine was, i wouldn't recommend fitting one unless as Paul says "You have problems with your set up"

Enjoy the forum, If there's anything we can help with - well just YELL !!!! :help

Martin :cheers
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

kaman
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675

Post by kaman » 27 Sep 2017, 21:49

Hi and welcome aboard Fribs and Sibs.
Any questions, just holler and I'm sure someone will be happy to shout up and point you in the right direction

mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.

Post by mattswan2512 » 30 Sep 2017, 14:19

Nice set up there!!! Welcome and enjoy the forum its a great place to ask and advise. Very friendly and member orientated
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.

pugwash2
Boat Make: honwave t40 ae
Outboard: 1996 mariner 15hp
1980 yamaha 5hp
1960s segal 40+

Post by pugwash2 » 01 Oct 2017, 12:50

Hi and again :welcome :welcome :welcome to our fantastic information site,
I have a honwave t40ae with aluminium floor and a mariner 15hp two stroke and what a set up it is its allways a good idea to try and protect your prop depending on where you take your boat eg lakes or rivers myself I spend a lot of time on salt water where its clear of debri,I thought about a hydrofoils but it gets up on the plane very quick so I decided against it .
Regards pugwash.

Return to “Introduce Yourself --------- *******NEW MEMBER”