The inevitable ‘which sib’ post...

A sib is a soft floor inflatable boat (SIB) that will roll up and fit into a bag to ease with carrying or storage.
There are many different manufacturers and floor designs to suit your needs.
Paul B
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T38ie2
Outboard: Suzuki df9.9 (15hpconversion)

Re: The inevitable ‘which sib’ post...

Post by Paul B » 19 Jan 2018, 15:15

The honwave v floor is 2 tubes or floor compartments if you want to be specific, there a a few other makes which try and copy this, but cannot remember the names :roll: , The zodiac fast roller users the sausage keel and whilst a good sib it has a problem with keeping the keel in the correct place and doesn’t have the overall rigidity of the honwave
These users thanked the author Paul B for the post:
Redron (19 Jan 2018, 16:53)
Chief Cook and Bottle washer
TRALEE BAY FISH N CHIPS

Honwave T38ie2 Suzuki DF 9.9 (15hp) conversion
Scooter perception kayak
Gosea fishing kayak

DouglasW
Advanced Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Yamaha F15C
Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5

Post by DouglasW » 19 Jan 2018, 16:05

Redron>
Douglas, great photos. I’m guessing the beach in the first photo with the kayaks is just before Loch Coruisk , just after the ‘bad step’. I took a friend over the ‘step’ recently and he was so elated he threw all his clothes off and ran into the sea from that beach, there wasn’t much to see when he got out ;-)
040307_190scavaig.jpg
Well spotted Redron! Yes that is Port Sgaile at the head of Loch Scavaig.
bellajane3.jpg
This view is from the summit of Sgurr na Stri with Port Sgaile on the right and the Bad Step immediately below Donald MacKinnon's boat Bella Jane.

I know what you mean about the Orkney boats. My family are pretty much all boat daft. My uncle's brother in law dreamed of getting an Orkney Longliner but by the time he could afford one with a 10HP Honda his health was not so good and he hardly used it because he could not launch or recover it on his own. I got to borrow it for a fortnight's holiday and kept it on a mooring. It was a great displacement boat that handled Solway wind over tide condoitions as if it was calm...but it was soooo heavy!

Douglas
These users thanked the author DouglasW for the post:
Redron (19 Jan 2018, 16:43)

Redron
Newish Member, But I Like It Here
MMSI Number: 10
Been thanked: 0

Post by Redron » 19 Jan 2018, 17:11

Oops ! I have just seen and read the ‘which inflatable’ sticky post by Paul which seems to answer my question on the inflatable keel issue :oops:
I would be interested to know who else does the high pressure v keel other than Honwave....

Douglas- I live but a few miles from Loch Scavaig, one of my favourite haunts. Often walk out to Camasunary to walk, camp and fish.

chris moody
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T32IE
Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8
MMSI Number: 235900806

Post by chris moody » 19 Jan 2018, 17:16

I think the Honwave 2.7m is just over £750 inc VAT
Chris Moody

Tiny Tigga - Honwave T32IE with launch wheels Honda 2hp 4 stroke air cooled & Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke
Tigga 2 - Ribcraft 4.8 Honda BF50
http://twitter.com/aslmarine

Paul B
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T38ie2
Outboard: Suzuki df9.9 (15hpconversion)

Post by Paul B » 19 Jan 2018, 17:23

Redron wrote:Oops ! I have just seen and read the ‘which inflatable’ sticky post by Paul which seems to answer my question on the inflatable keel issue :oops:
I would be interested to know who else does the high pressure v keel other than Honwave
The boat is was thinking of was a prowave , one of our members had one a while back :thumbsup
Chief Cook and Bottle washer
TRALEE BAY FISH N CHIPS

Honwave T38ie2 Suzuki DF 9.9 (15hp) conversion
Scooter perception kayak
Gosea fishing kayak

DouglasW
Advanced Member
Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5

Post by DouglasW » 19 Jan 2018, 17:56

Redron>
Douglas- I live but a few miles from Loch Scavaig, one of my favourite haunts. Often walk out to Camasunary to walk, camp and fish.
Redron, you are SO lucky.
sgurrnastri copy.jpg
Loch Scavaig is a great place for boating. If you bought a small light SIB you could even carry it up the short river into Loch Coruisk and row it round the loch. I would not suggest carrying the outboard up as the noise would disturb a very special place. :)

Loch Eishort is also worth a visit, you will almost certainly see sea eagles there. There are also the ruins of the abandoned settlement of Boreraig to explore and if it is calm nip out of the loch and visit Spar Cave at the mouth of Loch Slapin. I have not had my F-Rib on Skye, only my kayak, but see Gurnard's posts about sibbing round Skye and neighbouring islands here on this site and over on his blog Inflatable Boat Journeys also lots of trips round Skye and other west coast islands on my blog at seakayakphoto.com..

Douglas :)

Redron

Post by Redron » 19 Jan 2018, 19:14

Ok Douglas, I am going to make you even more envious ! My house is just 400m from Camus Malag on Loch Slapin . My favourite walk is the Borreraig/Suisnish circuit. I know Eishort and Slapin well and it’s pretty much where I will be ‘sibbing’.
Getting giddy now and planning boating/camping trips for the mackerel and sea trout . Not looked at your links yet but will enjoy doing so. Cheers.

DouglasW
Advanced Member
Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5

Post by DouglasW » 19 Jan 2018, 19:40

Redron you have succeeded! What a great location. I have walked that circuit quite a few times, what a route to have on your doorstep! :)

Redron

Post by Redron » 21 Jan 2018, 15:28

Ok, after much research I think I have narrowed my choice down to a Honwave high pressure V keel.
Not sure yet whether it will be the T27 or the T32....

I’m thinking the 27 will that little bit lighter and easier to handle for my slightly weary 57 year old body, but the 32 is only slightly heavier and has just that bit more room. My wife and friends would be joining me on occasions and I would like to drop a pot or two occasionally.
Initially I thought I would be inflating/deflating every trip but on reading round, it seems this is a bit of a chore and lots of folk keep them inflated and trailer them around, more expense ! Any thoughts on this conundrum appreciated.

Whichever I choose, initially it will be ‘powered’ by my 2.3 Honda, of course this is quite likely to be upgraded in the future ;-)
So, £750 for a 27 or £870 for a 32, which ain’t bad really, except i have seen a new 32 with a new 5hp Honda for £1500 and a near new 32 with a 6hp Yamaha on an indespesion micro roller trailer for a shade under £2k.

Decisions, decisions.... :LMT

chris moody
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T32IE
Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8
MMSI Number: 235900806

Post by chris moody » 21 Jan 2018, 15:34

In my opinion the T27ie / T32ie is so quick and easy to inflate / deflate that a trailer is unnecessary.
These users thanked the author chris moody for the post:
Redron (21 Jan 2018, 15:55)
Chris Moody

Tiny Tigga - Honwave T32IE with launch wheels Honda 2hp 4 stroke air cooled & Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke
Tigga 2 - Ribcraft 4.8 Honda BF50
http://twitter.com/aslmarine

Return to “SIB - Soft Inflatable Boat”