Loch Ness Slips?

Please share your experiences of Launch sites, Parking & General site facilities
JohnD
Newish Member, But I Like It Here
Boat Make: Honwave t38
Outboard: Honda 20hp
MMSI Number: 235905520

Loch Ness Slips?

Post by JohnD » 13 Apr 2018, 17:53

Anyone with tips for loacations and launching on the shores of Loch Ness? Popping down there later this month on a recce with the caravan, in the hope of finding a spot to operate from during May time. Taking a Honwave T38 with transom wheels. Ooops, should also include wifey and three Collie dogs.

Last time I post with wifey looking over my shoulder :oops:

John.
Honwave T38. 20hp Honda O/B, Adria Caravan, three Collies (Nipper, Hamish and Uig), wife and a ruddy big truck to tow it all. YeeeHaaa :-)

Paul
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479

Re: Loch Ness Slips?

Post by Paul » 13 Apr 2018, 21:35

Hi there John
Not launched in that area personally but http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk might get you started in your research :idea:
A quick search showing 3 local sites
Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 22.29.55.png
Hopefully someone with more local knowledge will be along shortly.
It'll be a great area to explore :mrgreen:
:cheers
I walked through the door marked 'EXIT' and life is now good!

warder54
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 360 + Smartwave 480
Outboard: Mar 15 2 st
Yam 60 efi
Toh 5 4 st
Toh 20 efi
MMSI Number: 10

Post by warder54 » 14 Apr 2018, 08:19

Not been there myself, but Loch Ness shores Camping and caravanning club site has beach and slip launching, they even hire out some boats and kayaks. I think it was club site of the year last year?
Why am I here - I should be in my boat fishing!!
Mike Elliott

JohnD

Post by JohnD » 14 Apr 2018, 14:21

Yup, spotted that one this morning. Ideal from the Caravan site. The boatlaunch website threw up some interesting options as well, but for other locations. Later in the year maybe.
Honwave T38. 20hp Honda O/B, Adria Caravan, three Collies (Nipper, Hamish and Uig), wife and a ruddy big truck to tow it all. YeeeHaaa :-)

pritch
Advanced Member
Boat Make: BISON 390
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp

Post by pritch » 14 Apr 2018, 15:28

Hi
After reading this thread I remembered an old post that might be important regarding your plans. (see below)

Although it sounds a good idea.. I have always had my reservations of fresh water lochs in Scotland with SIBs and outboard motors. They are not covered by the freedom of Access code ..due to the powered engines...so you cant just arrive..blow up the boat and go.

I believe the canal systems have quite stringent rules for powered craft ..even small SIBs with engines are considered open boat power craft. What all this means is...you will need insurance .. ..you will need to have the SIB inspected..yup..I believe even a small SIB will need a saftety certificate as it is a powered open boat. So perhaps you may consider the seago safe Kaman..the authorities may not. I was refused access to use mine on Loch Morar..simply because it was considered too small a power boat for that loch. But ... assuming it is considered safe you then have to pay for a transit license ..etc. You have to follow rules at the canal gates etc

JohnD

Post by JohnD » 14 Apr 2018, 17:12

Pritch. I think your right, I need to make a phone call on Monday. If you are correct, and I think you are, then Nessy is off the playlist. I'm now semi retired and trying to get away from rules and officialdom, not find more. Guess I'm just an old crusty. ;-)

PS I have just qualified as a Fellow of the Most Honerable Sibs and Ribs Guild (F.M.H.S.R.G.) by successfully inflating my T38 in my front living room.

John D. F.M.H.S.R.G.

pritch
Advanced Member
Boat Make: BISON 390
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp

Post by pritch » 14 Apr 2018, 17:51

I'll never get that qualification with a cream carpet and a boat hating wife:(

Paul
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479

Post by Paul » 14 Apr 2018, 20:20

JohnD wrote: I have just qualified as a Fellow of the Most Honerable Sibs and Ribs Guild (F.M.H.S.R.G.) by successfully inflating my T38 in my front living room.

John D. F.M.H.S.R.G.
:welcome 'Brother' John D :respect :clappy
I walked through the door marked 'EXIT' and life is now good!

sparerib
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 340
Outboard: Yamaha 30hp 4 stroke
Yamaha 2.5hp 4 stroke

Post by sparerib » 15 Apr 2018, 11:10

pritch wrote:Hi
After reading this thread I remembered an old post that might be important regarding your plans. (see below)

Although it sounds a good idea.. I have always had my reservations of fresh water lochs in Scotland with SIBs and outboard motors. They are not covered by the freedom of Access code ..due to the powered engines...so you cant just arrive..blow up the boat and go.

I believe the canal systems have quite stringent rules for powered craft ..even small SIBs with engines are considered open boat power craft. What all this means is...you will need insurance .. ..you will need to have the SIB inspected..yup..I believe even a small SIB will need a saftety certificate as it is a powered open boat. So perhaps you may consider the seago safe Kaman..the authorities may not. I was refused access to use mine on Loch Morar..simply because it was considered too small a power boat for that loch. But ... assuming it is considered safe you then have to pay for a transit license ..etc. You have to follow rules at the canal gates etc

Guys look at the scottish canals website, https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/wp-con ... de-WEB.pdf its a good skippers guide, myself and kaman are doing Inverness to Oban in time for the WWA, you don't need a safety certificate for a small boat, if you have a transit licence, which last 7 days.

Explore the site it gives info on lots of things.....hope that helps :thumbsup

Return to “Launch / Slipways & Information”