Share your mods with the forum
ChrisParish
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Zodiac c310
Outboard: Mariner 5hp 2 stroke | Mariner 9.9hp Four Stroke
MMSI Number: 235916094

Fitting Launch Wheels to a Zodiac c310

Post by ChrisParish » 07 Jun 2018, 19:58

This beautiful 1987 Zodiac c310 has been in my family since I was 10 and a few years ago my Father decided that he was unlikley to use it any more so I could have it. I have used it a little but not as much as I would like as it is arkward to setup and carry.
I recently decided that I would fit some wheels to the transom to aid in launching and so I could perhaps take the boat out on my own in the future (as I have always gone out at least 2 up for ease of launching)

I browsed through the forum here and found a link to some on ebay which a few of you have used so I ordered some. A few days later they arrived. Before I even opened the box I could smell the rubber of the tyres!

This is the first time I have done any modification to a boat, so I was more than a little nervous.

First of all, unpack and inflate the boat
IMG_0462.jpg
I have bought a Bravo BPT12 which is a definate improvement over the old foot pump!

With the boat inflated, I inflated the thwart and placed it under the transom so I could mount the outboard.
IMG_0470.jpg
There were no instructions for fitting the wheels but I have seen plenty of pictures. I positioned the wheels so that they would just clear the tubes as they are being raised and lowered and so that the plates are placed on the flat part of the transom (the bottom three-ish inches are recessed slightly to allow the floor material to be bonded and I wasn't about to drill through that!). I determined that the outermost edge of the plate needed to be 30mm in from the point where the tube and the transom are bonded.
I put some masking tape on the transom and then measured and marked a line using a setsquare.
IMG_0472.jpg
IMG_0474.jpg
Using double sided tape I stuck the plates to the masking tape so that a) I could eyeball them to make sure it looked right b) I could hold the wheels in place and make sure they clear everything and c) I can use them as a drilling jig.
IMG_0475.jpg
IMG_0477.jpg
So now for the nerve wracking moment - drilling the transom! I was very nervous because in my head the boat is still my Dad's boat.
IMG_0481.jpg
With the holes drilled I did a test fit to see how long the bolts needed to be
IMG_0483.jpg
As you can see they are far too long. The kit came with some red plastic covers but I didn't like that solution so I measured the amount to be removed and then got out the vice, the hacksaw and the grinder. I cut them to length (using three blades in a junior hacksaw - flippin' stainless!) and then beveled the edges on the grinder to remove any sharp bits and make them look nicer! For my install the bolts needed to be 38mm long.
IMG_0489.jpg
IMG_0490.jpg
IMG_0491.jpg
With this done I did another dry fit and checked the new bolt length.
IMG_0493.jpg
Much better. Now it is time to remove the masking tape and apply some sealant to the back of the plates, as due to the welds it is possible for water to go down the back and I didn't want that. I was going to buy some marine sealant but it appears that the only difference between regular sealant and marine sealant is the addition of the word "marine" and a multiplication of the price tag. :)
I applied some blue threadlock compound to the bolts to help stop the nuts vibrating loose, attached the wheels and then sat back to look at my handy work.
IMG_0500.jpg
IMG_0502.jpg
I am pretty pleased with that! :thumbsup

I placed the thwart under the port side tube and raised the wheel to see how far I could rotate the outboard before it hits. I almost get full lock.
IMG_0506.jpg
All in all the whole thing went much more smoothly than I thought and I am very happy with the result.

The next job is to fit a lanyard kill-switch to my outboard, which has no provision for doing so (I can't just replace the stop switch as the new kill-switch would fowl the carb :( )
These users thanked the author ChrisParish for the post (total 2):
Paul (07 Jun 2018, 20:38) • SEMTEX (25 Jul 2018, 20:05)
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

Paul
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479

Re: Fitting Launch Wheels to a Zodiac c310

Post by Paul » 07 Jun 2018, 20:45

Chris
Excellent writeup and 'how to' mate :TY :clappy
I had the same wheels on my FRIB 360 and they worked really well, easy to operate deploy/retract very quickly :thumbsup
The only modification I carried out to them was to replace the pivot bolt with a 8mm drop-nose pin :idea:
SIB looks very nice mate :mrgreen:
:cheers

ChrisParish
Supporting Member

Post by ChrisParish » 07 Jun 2018, 20:58

Cheers, Paul! She’s not bad to an old girl!
:thumbsup

I have ordered some clevis pins with clips to make the wheels removeable. I had meant to mention that but forgot! :shame

Martin
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 08 Jun 2018, 12:10

That’s a lovely looking Sib Chris, I bet you’re well pleased with that.
Cracking write up of your nervous first mod, I’ve done two sets of wheels on two boats and still get nervous 😂
..so you’re not on your own!!!!

Well done buddy 👏
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

ChrisParish
Supporting Member

Post by ChrisParish » 10 Jun 2018, 12:56

The clevis pins I ordered have arrived.
They are a bit long but I am going to 3D print a gizmo to put on them so I can tether the clip to the pin for safe keeping!
Attachments
58006172-0379-4037-880B-DB19427ED03A.jpeg
Clevis pin and R clip

Martin
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 10 Jun 2018, 13:37

Chris, have you seen the drop nose pins.
Theyre similar to the pins you have but without the need of an R clip. They have a drop nose/swivel as part of there body.

https://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/mer ... gJT7_D_BwE
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

ChrisParish
Supporting Member

Post by ChrisParish » 10 Jun 2018, 17:52

I did see them, but these were a fraction of the price and I like the security of the clip. When I have lost the clips I will probably end up buying the drop-nose pins! :D

Return to “DIY & Modifications”