Which boat to buy??

Ask current owners for advice before taking the plunge !
PaulR
Supporting Member
Boat Make: FRib 360
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
MMSI Number: 10

Which boat to buy??

Post by PaulR » 05 Nov 2017, 22:35

Hi
I have posted some of this already on my hello post but looking for all the guidance I can get from actual users rather than sales people. I am looking for a recreational boat to use mainly off the Brid and Scarborough coast. Whilst speed isn't the most important factor I do like to entertain family and friends with the inflatable toys on occasion. I would prefer to be able to fold it all away and take it in the car but I am concerned the weight of the outboard may not allow this as I am built a bit like the mr muscle adverts. Whilst at Brid it will be stored on a trailer in the boat yard where they launch and retrieve for you with the tractors so no problem there. I am also curious as to the fuel consumption on a 20hp for example.
I must admit I do prefer the look of the Honwave over the F-Rib but I have no experience with the inflatable floors so I am a little unsure how it would cut through the waves. Most of my boating experience in the past has been with jet ribs (zodiac pro jet) and jet boats (seadoo challenger) and have very little experience with outboard motors so I was wondering is there a big difference between the outboard engine manufacturers, basically is there a preferred one?
Any help you can give will be much appreciated.
Thank you

chris moody
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Outboard: Honda BF50
MMSI Number: 235900806

Re: Which boat to buy??

Post by chris moody » 06 Nov 2017, 08:35

The F-rib being a hard hull (GRP) will perform better than the airfloors. It will require less horsepower to get it moving, and will handle rough water better.

The Honwaves (and Aerotec) pack away into a smaller and more manageable package to transport.

Setup time will be similar for both.

I think you need to look at both, see how they inflate and deflate, how easy they are to get in and out of your touring van when deflated, and try picking up and carrying a suitable sized outboard. That should enable you to decide on F-rib or Air-deck, and what length of boat.
Chris Moody
Tigga 2 - Ribcraft 4.8 Honda BF50
http://twitter.com/aslmarine

Martin
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 06 Nov 2017, 09:45

Hi again PaulR..

Unfortunately there is no perfect boat, but you can generally find one that ticks most of the boxes for you.
I might be able to give somewhat of an insight as I’ve had the T38 Honwave and now own a FRIB 375.

After trialling the FRIB at foldable rib HQ (Hamble point) some years ago, I’d come to the conclusion they really were going to take the portable boat world by storm. The dry ride,rigid hull, ease of inflation just ticked all the boxes.
Until 2yrs ago, Id longed for a FRIB but just couldn’t justify the price when I already owned a superb T38 Honwave.
I can though, deffinately remember going around Lismore a few years ago and running alongside Paul’s Frib360 whilst still in my T38. I was quite alarmed how much of a slam battering Paul appeared to be getting in his FRIB compared to me in my T38.
That honestly put me off a little. Back at camp I asked Paul how bad it was, he replied it was somewhat uncomfortable but he’d never felt in any danger. He did at that point comment he’d altered the trim setting on his outboard and it was flying a little nose high, this explained when he did come off a wave top ... SLAM !

I was still a little put off, over time and watching how paul progressed with the FRIB, moving weight around, setting his seating, and retrimning the outboard it really did seem to make a difference.
The boat was riding flatter, smoother and to be honest it bloody flew compared to my set up. He towed ringos with the kids in without problems, and watching how it stuck to the rails when cornering Sharp was amazing !

I was sold, the remarkable (imo) Honwave has to go and a new FRIB & 20hp suzuki was ordered.
Yes, the FRIB is a little slammy but so are all hard shells, add a little weight up front and it’s surprising the difference it makes.

A sleek sturdy hull that turns on a sixpence, Sure footing from the rigid hull and the general handling and performance really does show the FRIB is in a different league to the sibs. I’m not saying it’s better, it’s just different.. a difference that suited me better.

If mine got stolen, I’d buy another without hesitation .. if for some reason (lord knows why lol) you couldn’t obtain a frib, then I’d be straight back to the T38 Honwave.

As you say your not hugely well built (hope that’s correct lol) id recommend trial lifting and carrying outboards and boats before making a decision.
You will get better performance from a FRIB compared to a sib with the same size motor.

Suzuki’s are generally lightest in their class at approx 44kg for the 9.9/15 & 20hp efi motors. Remarkably efficient and very smooth with the efi.
Tohatsu - I believe they’ve just brought out a new range and have pipped suzuki on the weight slightly at 42kg.

Some of the other brands do very capable & lighter smaller outboards. Will the tow a ringo ?? NO IDEA :LMT

Plenty of others have various set ups so hopefully you’ll get more info throughout the day.

Martin :cheers
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

warder54
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 360 + Smartwave 480
Outboard: Mar 15 2 st
Yam 60 efi
Toh 5 4 st
Toh 20 efi

Post by warder54 » 06 Nov 2017, 17:37

Hi and welcome. Like Martin I also have a foot in both camps, I have the F-Rib 360 and still have a Honwave T38ie. I love the Honwave but prefer the F-Rib for all the same reasons as Martin, mine flies with a 2006 Mariner 15 2 stroke but the T38 is just quick with the same motor. I will take delivery of my new Tohatsu 20 EFi in the next week or so.
Looks like I may well be selling the T38 and Mariner next year.
Why am I here - I should be in my boat fishing!!
Mike Elliott

PaulR
Supporting Member

Post by PaulR » 06 Nov 2017, 20:20

Thanks for all the advice and taking the time to respond, it really is appreciated. I am thinking I may take the road Martin and Warder have taken and get the T38 to test the water so to speak and see how I enjoy it and then upgrade to the F-Rib once I am sure. I am getting quite excited about it now. There appear to be a couple of decent options for the T38on ebay but I may opt for new.
Thanks again

Martin
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 06 Nov 2017, 20:59

Honwaves have dropped in price quite a bit since I bought mine. You can pick a brand new t38 up now for £1100 ish.
You’ll need a high pressure air pump for it, bravo BTP12 is the popular pump most of us use. They retail around £120 I think,
Imo... the aftermarket heavy duty launch wheels are better than the flimsy genuine Honwave wheels, I’m sure others will second that.
The T38 weighs in around 44-48kg, it’s s big heavy lump, but with practice you’ll make it a lot smaller wrapped package. I used a sack cart to move mine around.

The T38 goes pretty well with a 15hp on, not sure how the Honwave will do towing a ringo though, perhaps others that have tried it will be able to comment.

Do your homework buddy and ask as many questions as you like

Martin :cheers
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

chris moody
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Outboard: Honda BF50
MMSI Number: 235900806

Post by chris moody » 06 Nov 2017, 21:02

The place I bought my Honwave from are currently doing the T38IE for £1050 incl VAT.
Chris Moody
Tigga 2 - Ribcraft 4.8 Honda BF50
http://twitter.com/aslmarine

Jakeyboy
Advanced Member

Post by Jakeyboy » 06 Nov 2017, 21:13

Hi paulR
The honwave t38 is a great boat,I absoulutly love mine but i would agree with Martin fully that it is a big heavy lump when packed in its bag ,i transport mine about on roof bars on top of a freelander 2 and i really struggle getting it up there on my own and im a fairly big lad ,also have a honda 20hp on it which goes great but again is a big lump to lift alone ,i would consider these things before taking the plunge and make sure it's something your comfortable with,i personally wouldnt go any less than the 20hp honda as it weighs the same as the 15hp honda but there may well be lighter brands available which im sure will be equally as good as honda

PaulR
Supporting Member

Post by PaulR » 06 Nov 2017, 22:40

Maybe a stupid question but can you lay the outboard on its side for travelling?

Captain cod
Veteran Member
Boat Make: Humber
Outboard: Mariner 40hp

Post by Captain cod » 06 Nov 2017, 22:46

If it's 2 stroke you can lay it however you want. But I belive 4 strokes you have to be carefull with you can lay them on on side but not the other. I think it depends on the manufacturer

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Return to “Thinking Of Buying?”