Trailer for SIB/F-RIB?

Ask current owners for advice before taking the plunge !
Paul
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479

Re: Trailer for SIB/F-RIB?

Post by Paul » 18 Feb 2017, 23:57

ArcusFlyer

Martin, like you is currently setting up his trailer and asked me to take a few photos for a general guidance of rough axle and roller positioning etc, so here's a few snaps.
20170218_161538.jpg
Rear roller position and OB clearance
20170218_161555.jpg
Spare wheel, snub and front roller position
20170218_161612.jpg
Front roller positon
20170218_161739.jpg
Transom strap
Maybe of some help to you guys

ArcusFlyer
Boat Make: F-RIB 360
Outboard: Suzuki DF20 & DF2.5
MMSI Number: 10

Post by ArcusFlyer » 19 Feb 2017, 00:53

Thanks Paul great pics. I pretty much disassembled the trailer earlier this afternoon and set up from scratch with the inflated frib as a template. Happy to say the set up I settled on after a bit of head scratching is pretty much identical to the pics you just posted so thankyou. you have to hand it to the manufacturers these trailers are very configurable (sorry im a computer programmer and configurable is a good word, and a good thing :) ).

Looking at your pics your plastic blue mudguards are drilled/mounted about 2" lower than mine hence you have a bit of clearance between the bottom of the tubes and the top of the mudguards.

My setup has ended up about 8" shorter than yours overall but i may have missed something. Will post some pics.

Thanks again.

Martin
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 19 Feb 2017, 09:37

Cheers Paul,
Mines done and a little different too, much will depend on the height of the mud guards unless of course you alter them :lol:
I've only just realised, you two have mud flaps... :o and I don't :cry:
Nothing that I can't fix though :lol:

I've tried a few different configurations, getting correct hull support but keeping the set up as short as possible is difficult as it then hinders launching, just a case of finding a happy medium. Nose weight is neither here nor there, a quick axle move sorts that. :drive

The indespension trailers really are the dogs danglies, a superb bit of kit !
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

chris moody
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Ribcraft 4.8 Takacat 3.4
Outboard: Honda BF50 Tohatsu 9.8 2s
MMSI Number: 235900806

Post by chris moody » 19 Feb 2017, 10:36

Sorry ArcusFlyer, my error. You did say it wasn't nose heavy enough, I misread your post.

I tend to set my trailers to around 50kg of nose weight.
ArcusFlyer wrote:Hi Chris. I meant it's nose heavy now but only just by a tiny amount. I think I red that you want a good few kg nose weight so was going to move the axle back to increase the existing small amount of nose weight. Hope that's right.
Chris Moody
Tigga 2: Ribcraft 4.8 Honda BF50
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8

mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.

Post by mattswan2512 » 19 Feb 2017, 13:11

Ive looked into nose weight......alot!!! It can depend on vehicles also so a mitsubishi l200 can take a nose weight of 130kg but the happy medium is normaly 50-70 kg for most towers of caravans horseboxes etc but with it being a light boat its more about where u set you snub and boat as a transom heavy boat is not fun to tow if its set to far back on the trailer even if the nose weight is okay!!!!

My honwave and 20hp 4 stroke was on an indespension trailer that could take a 4.8m boat my boat was 4 m so i shifted the boat further forward on the trailer and put my nose weight to 65 kg in order to put the engine closer to the axle and this made a huge improvememt to towing. (Had a 2ltr insignia) i also used a transom saver which was a great bit of kit and took all shock and bounce out of the engine
10067672.jpg
10067672.jpg (8.11 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.

ArcusFlyer
Boat Make: F-RIB 360
Outboard: Suzuki DF20 & DF2.5
MMSI Number: 10

Post by ArcusFlyer » 21 Feb 2017, 13:09

Thanks all.
Finally got round to fitting my F-RIB spray canopy. Only took 6 months to get around to it :oops:
Apart from flipping the spare wheel over to be on top (it came from indespension mounted underneath). I think it's pretty much there.
Just need to find a full boat cover to use when towing. Can anyone suggest a good cover for the 360?
I thought F-RIB had a full cover but can't find one on their site, can only find the cover that just goes over the tubes to protect from fish hooks etc.

Thanks.

PS I like the way indespension have matched the colour of their winch strap material to the orange stripes of the F-RIB :D

Paul
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479

Post by Paul » 21 Feb 2017, 23:45

Looking good mate :clappy
Canopy, I wouldn't say the bow dodger was a thing of beauty but the times I've used it in very windy and lumpy conditions it's proved invaluable keeping myself, crew and kit dry :)
I tend to tension the straps through the second eyelet aft of the rowlocks to gain the best seal between the canopy and tubes.
Trailer, Yup mine came with the spare underslung and moved it on top because I didn't want it being dunked every launch and besides, getting to the nuts to release it if I suffered a flat would be a right pain ;-)
I see what you mean about your mudguard mounting/positioning being at least 2" higher than mine. TBH with my setup only weighing in at around 150kg max fully loaded with all my cr@p aboard, I'm inclined to lower my mudguards further, hopefully leaving clearance for any suspension movement, which will allow me to lower the rollers to give even easier launching/retrieval :idea:
Even with me bouncing up and down in the boat the suspension hardly moves so maybe another 1" could be gained together with centralising the mudguards :idea:
BTW, with the tyre sidewalls being very stiff with bracing I've been running the tyre pressures at 20psi to allow some give/movement and remove the 'harshness' during towing and it's not proved an issue over 3,500-4,000 miles of ownership.
Enjoy :!: :cheers

PS. Good point, if the winch strap didn't match the boat I'd never had bought it :rofl

Martin
Supporting Member

Post by Martin » 28 Feb 2017, 23:00

Paul wrote: Good point, if the winch strap didn't match the boat I'd never had bought it :rofl
Arghhhh....

Mines green :o :?

Shannon
I'm New
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Shannon » 02 Mar 2017, 21:56

Trailers for folding RIBs
Do you not fold them any more?

Martin
Supporting Member

Post by Martin » 02 Mar 2017, 22:49

Shannon wrote:Trailers for folding RIBs
Do you not fold them any more?
Yes very much so... But versatility is surely the way forward....?
Sometimes it's quicker and easier to trailer, sometimes not..
Obviously when caravanning, the boat gets folded up and carried in the vehicle... Unless the UK government allows us road trains :drive :thud

Return to “Thinking Of Buying?”