Compass for SIB

Ask current owners for advice before taking the plunge !
Redlinebuzz
Boat Make: Mercury 415 HD
Outboard: Johnson 15hp(9.9)
Mariner 3.5
MMSI Number: 10

Compass for SIB

Post by Redlinebuzz » 06 Dec 2016, 13:44

Anyone any recommendations for a good big compass, probably mounted to the seat, been looking at kayak ones, but the most popular one needs a hole to recess into, not fond of that idea !

The Gurnard
Super Poster
Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP
Has thanked: 0

Re: Compass for SIB

Post by The Gurnard » 06 Dec 2016, 15:07

I have a wee "Ritchie" brand compass that shows me the way to go Redlinebuzz... and I have been very glad of it several times.. cos when the mist rolls in on the Clyde ..you aint got a clue which way to go.

Here it is guiding me into Glencallum bay on the lovely Isle of Bute in a beautiful clear day too.. Im certain you will head there sometime soon if you have not already been
gurnard.jpg
The only reason it’s a Ritchie compass ... is I walked into Duncan’s yacht chandlers in Glasgow ... many years back..and bought a boat compass I could afford... and its never let me down. It is a flat plate that screws onto the mounting location...so no deck holes required.. I never used the wires either as it could be illuminated if I wished.

In the guppy..I keep a Silvo hillwalking compass in the spares box...as its a very small boat..but I wouldn’t go to sea without one of some sort.
I also wear a Suunto altimeter watch..complete with compass ..so never without two.

I once accidentally magnetised a hill walking one with my mobile phone case magnet. I was in the hills in thick cloud at the time and fortunately thought it was pointing the wrong way ? My watch compass confirmed it was.. so I followed it in reverse.. something Im used to..because as you probably know.. a boat compass is in reverse of a land compass. :o :D

Redlinebuzz
Mariner 3.5

Post by Redlinebuzz » 06 Dec 2016, 18:33

Thanks The Gurnard, that little bay is the first place we landed on our first trip out, it was nice even in winter ! That's when I realised I needed an anchor ! I've seen those Richie compasses on boat sites, thanks for the heads up, I just had a hand held US Army compass as a fail safe, but it doesn't work too well when you're on the move !

The Gurnard
Super Poster
Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP
Has thanked: 0

Post by The Gurnard » 06 Dec 2016, 20:31

Yup..I thought I recognised it from one of your photos. Its a nice wild campsite in summer and usually plenty driftwood for a fire.
glencallum_1.jpg
Just beware of the rocks in the middle of the bay at low tide in case you hit your prop on them. You can see them in this photo I took from the hilltop behind the bay..a nasty surprise for those entering at lowish water.
glencallum_2.jpg
Roll on the spring and warmer weather again. The photos put me in the mood to get back out again..but a few long dark months away yet :(

Redlinebuzz
Mariner 3.5

Post by Redlinebuzz » 07 Dec 2016, 17:54

Those rocks, I'm certain I didn't see them on the way in, but definitely saw them on the way out ! Like you said, could've been a nasty surprise ! We passed some guys who seemed to be working on Little Cumbrae on the way over, dunno if they were working on the old light house, I did hear a while back about someone trying to buy the little island though.

Return to “Thinking Of Buying?”