New F-Rib 430 - review

Shaun
Boat Make: F-Rib 430
Outboard: Evinrude E-Tec 30

Re: New F-Rib 430 - review

Post by Shaun » 09 Jul 2018, 12:46

Fly360 wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 17:31
Do you happen to know what the actual packed dimensions are for the 430? I've seen the manufacturers numbers, but I'm curious if they are accurate.
Sorry could you clarify. Are you talking about the dimensions on the site for the 430 when inflated? or the box it comes in? or the size when folded up?

Phil
Advanced Member
Boat Make: F-RIB 360
Outboard: 15hp 1992 Johnson GT 10
MMSI Number: 10

Post by Phil » 18 Jul 2018, 11:50

Shaun wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 11:34
Went out Saturday again, this time launching was much smoother and quicker (now know what im doing).
I believe I saw you trailering your boat into Northney Marina on the 23rd Sean. I saw a giant F-RIB being towed and thought I'd say hello. By the time I'd picked up fishing bait from the marina office and got round to the slip, you'd already gone though. It must have been a quick launch! I take my F-RIB 360 down in the boot of the car. The drive down is quicker, but it takes a little longer to get on the water.

FYI, whilst there's all-tide access to the solent from Northney round the Chichester Harbour side, you can get caught out coming in to the slip on a low Spring. I got very muddy last weekend jumping out into deep sludge and pulling the unmanned boat in with a rope as there wasn't enough water to float it with my passenger or me on board.
Attachments
IMG_9119.jpg
F-RIB 360 with F-RIB wheels, seat cushions and bag and Scotty rod rests
15hp 1992 Johnson GT 10 2-stroke

Shaun
Boat Make: F-Rib 430
Outboard: Evinrude E-Tec 30

Post by Shaun » 18 Jul 2018, 12:01

Phil wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 11:50
Shaun wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 11:34
Went out Saturday again, this time launching was much smoother and quicker (now know what im doing).
I believe I saw you trailering your boat into Northney Marina on the 23rd Sean. I saw a giant F-RIB being towed and thought I'd say hello. By the time I'd picked up fishing bait from the marina office and got round to the slip, you'd already gone though. It must have been a quick launch! I take my F-RIB 360 down in the boot of the car. The drive down is quicker, but it takes a little longer to get on the water.

FYI, whilst there's all-tide access to the solent from Northney round the Chichester Harbour side, you can get caught out coming in to the slip on a low Spring. I got very muddy last weekend jumping out into deep sludge and pulling the unmanned boat in with a rope as there wasn't enough water to float it with my passenger or me on board.
Was it towed by a big brown Amarok? if so then yes that's me. I try not spend too much time so launch and go as quick as i can. As for fishing, might have to meet up down there and you can show me the spots....

Phil
Advanced Member
Boat Make: F-RIB 360
Outboard: 15hp 1992 Johnson GT 10

Post by Phil » 18 Jul 2018, 16:24

Shaun wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 12:01
Was it towed by a big brown Amarok? if so then yes that's me. I try not spend too much time so launch and go as quick as i can. As for fishing, might have to meet up down there and you can show me the spots....
I think it must have been. The brown truck rings a bell and it was the first F-RIB I'd seen at the Northney Slip + was much bigger than my 360.

Meeting up at the slip sounds good. I'm in Cornwall this weekend (taking the F-RIB and my rods :D) and away the weekend after. However, weather permitting, I'll probably be in the Solent on Saturday 4th or Sunday 5th.

The caveat on my local fishing knowledge though is I've got on the Solent less than 10 times since April. I've had some success and caught a broad range of species (and a few for the BBQ) on and near the Dean Tale wreck in the shipping channel as well as across Bracklesham Bay and towards Selsey Bill. Unless tying up to a wreck marker, I'm currently only plumbing the drift with a drogue in play. I've yet to sort out another achor set-up after losing my old kayak anchor rig some ago.

Interesting to hear how well it sounds like the 430 takes the chop - presumably the extra length helps keep the boat planted. The 360 is very capable and seaworthy and always impresses me given the size it folds down to, getting to 20 knots two-up with my 15hp OB. As others have reported it can, however, give an uncomfortable ride for passengers in the front seat if heading at right angles directly in to steep, closely spaced chop unless you bring the speed down.

Obviously, there's a certain amount of tacking and quartering waves you can do to minimise the crashing, but the chop has slowed progress and kept me within a couple of miles of the shore and from heading out to the shipping channel wrecks on more than one occasion.
F-RIB 360 with F-RIB wheels, seat cushions and bag and Scotty rod rests
15hp 1992 Johnson GT 10 2-stroke

Fly360
I'm New
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Fly360 » 22 Jul 2018, 10:48

ohyeh
Shaun wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 12:46
Fly360 wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 17:31
Do you happen to know what the actual packed dimensions are for the 430? I've seen the manufacturers numbers, but I'm curious if they are accurate.
Sorry could you clarify. Are you talking about the dimensions on the site for the 430 when inflated? or the box it comes in? or the size when folded up?
Sorry for being so vague, it sounded good in my head lol. I meant to say what are the actual dimensions of the 430 when it’s all folded up and ready to be transported in the boot of a car? I think the manufacturer’s brochure says it’s 1.1m x 1.1m x .45m. Not sure if that’s an “optimistic” figure, or if it’s actually easy to pack it down to that size for transport.

Also, now that you’ve had a few trips on the boat, is there anything that you like or dislike about it? Still pleased with your purchase? Thanks!

Return to “F-Rib 430”