4 Stroke, 2 Stroke & Electric
ArcusFlyer
Boat Make: F-RIB 360
Outboard: Suzuki DF20 & DF2.5
MMSI Number: 10

Suzuki DF2.5 issue

Post by ArcusFlyer » 11 Jun 2018, 10:25

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share a recent experience with my nearly new DF2.5.
I keep it as an aux engine strapped in the front of the F-RIB, it gives me confidence knowing it's there. There isn't enough room on the transom for both the DF2.5 and the DF20.
I keep it on the correct side and on a (slight) angle upwards to the top of the engine as instructed.
I removed it from the boat recently and decided to fire it up as it hadn't been run for a while. It wouldn't turn over because the cylinder was hydrolically locked.
On removing the spark plug the cylinder was completely full of engine oil.
I did some googling and this seems to be a common issue ie oil filling up the cylinder if the engine is laid anywhere near flat, even on the correct side.
So at least it wasn't just my engine that does it and people say that draining the oil out and refilling to the required level fixes the problem with no lasting damage etc.
So basically I can't keep my aux in the front of the boat any more :cry: but at least I didn't find the issue 3 miles out at sea needing to use it in anger.
I think I need to come up with a Kaman style aux mount for the transom.
Anyway just thought I'd share this in case someone else has the same issue.

Matt.
These users thanked the author ArcusFlyer for the post:
Paul (11 Jun 2018, 20:04)

Paul
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479

Re: Suzuki DF2.5 issue

Post by Paul » 11 Jun 2018, 20:12

Interesting read that Matt :TY
Surprised its happened whilst being stowed in the correct orientation :idea:
I can only imagine it's the motion of your boat putting the powerhead position lower than the leg for short intervals allowing the transfer of oil into the cylinder :? ..... can't think of any other reason for it :Confused
Maybe a cushion placed under the powerhead to slightly raise it whilst stowed might cure the issue :idea:

Return to “Outboards”