Buying and selling second hand outboard.

All things outboard related here!
4 Stroke, 2 Stroke & Electric
Andy B
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Zodiac 380
Outboard: Mariner 9.9hp/Mariner 3.3hp

Buying and selling second hand outboard.

Post by Andy B » 12 Jan 2018, 13:21

Thought I'd start a discussion about what people look for when buying or selling a second hand outboard?
I will add a few of my own thoughts in a while, but for now I thought I'd see what everyone else thinks.

I will start the ball rolling with this though.
Why does everyone think just because an engine is pumping water it's a sign of good mechanical condition?
I see it all the time.
just because you've replaced the impeller, don't mean that the rest of the OB is good???

Has anyone ever actually taken spanners or a compresion tester to look at an outboard?
SOLENT
Waveline 2.3m/3.3hp Mariner
Zodiac 380/ Depends on the Day!

Paul
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479

Re: Buying and selling second hand outboard.

Post by Paul » 13 Jan 2018, 21:16

I've sat on my hands to reply to this one Andy so here it goes :?
I'm a 'proper old geezer' as you'd say :Boxsmile ....... both you and Martin are younger than me but grew up during a transition time when we still had to maintain motors otherwise they'd break down all the time :( ie, very regular engine oil changes, filter changes, toping up battery fluids, radiator fluid, carburettor oil, brake fluid, light bulbs every week etc, etc.
That ethos has carried on with us and that's hopefully given us reliability and faith in our motors :|
We bought the tools and read, learnt, saw when things wearn't right the hard way :evil:

So...... moving on .... oils and better machining allow motors to run regardless of major faults unfortunately these days :roll:
Those younger than us ain't got the tools to test, seen or experienced the troubles we've been through so the only gauge they've got to go on is .... it's running, sounds sweet enough and it's pumping water = good to go = buy :yay
So how can you blame them TBH :| especially from dealers giving 3 months warranty that are willing to 'take the chance' of it possibly going wrong :roll:
Of those that are sold and used within the 3 month warranty are very few IMO :!:
That's my 2p :Confused
:cheers
I walked through the door marked 'EXIT' and life is now good!

DouglasW
Advanced Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Yamaha F15C
Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5

Post by DouglasW » 13 Jan 2018, 22:58

The propellor is a very visible sign of how an outboard has been treated. I still have a set of spanner’s in the car, not for the car of course but for the roof rack and trailer, and I would ask if I could undo a gearbox plug to see if there was any water in the oil. I would also like the opportunity to start it from cold. I would also like to take a spark plug out though my own plug spanner may or may not fit.

If it all looked good I would probably then ask for a trial run either in the seller’s boat or mine unless it was a very cheap outboard.

I have bought 5 outboards (4 new one S/H) and sold 3 of mine and one of my Dad’s. I also bought a S/H Suzuki 4 stroke for my uncle from a chandler. The good Gurnard also gave me one of his. All are still running well except for a 1970’s Johnson Seahorse 2HP 2St which was bought new but was a pile of dross from the start. So I replaced it with a Suzuki in 1982 and gave the Johnson to a 14y old lad to take to bits. He is now the Yamaha dealer in SW Scotland so at least the Johnson did some good. :)

PS Paul, we think the same but not one of my outboards has ever had brake fluid! :) :) :)

Douglas

Murv
Newish Member, But I Like It Here
Boat Make: Honwave T32 IE
Outboard: Evinrude 9.9 two-stroke (need a 15hp carb!)
MMSI Number: 10

Post by Murv » 14 Jan 2018, 09:06

Most I've bought have been from the local-ish outboard centre.
They're similar price to a private sale, but with more peace of mind and I trust them.

The only outboard I bought privately second hand that wasn't a real cheapy, I compression tested it, checked the state of the plugs and drained a few drops of gear oil to make sure water wasn't getting in then just made sure it ran OK (2 stroke)
Oh, I also requested it wasn't started before I got there so I could see a cold start.
If an outboard starts easily and runs well, that's the main thing for me!

Paul
Supporting Member

Post by Paul » 14 Jan 2018, 22:28

DouglasW wrote:PS Paul, we think the same but not one of my outboards has ever had brake fluid! :) :) :) Douglas
:lol: yeah I got carried away referring to "motors" in general :shame

James
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Boat Make: F-Rib 360
Outboard: 1999 Johnson 2-Stroke 15 HP
MMSI Number: 235914355

Post by James » 15 Jan 2018, 11:17

Here is my experience.

If someone (Not a company) is selling a 2-Stoker, it's a shitter. No one sells a good 2 stoke engine - Unless you buying from a forum like this...

Unless I am willing to do a full rebuild, I would never buy a second hand 2-Stoker. I'd just save my money and buy a brand new 4-Stroke.
James

2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
Mods: Launch wheels, Towing Eyes, 2 Bench Seat Cushions, and 1 Bench Seat Bag
Boat name: Cichlid

Martin
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 15 Jan 2018, 14:51

Paul wrote:
DouglasW wrote:PS Paul, we think the same but not one of my outboards has ever had brake fluid! :) :) :) Douglas
:lol: yeah I got carried away referring to "motors" in general :shame
It was the carb oil that got me chuckling.. I’m no old boy yet but I can imagine the head scratching going on now with someone reading the post.. :LMT
“You put oil in carburettors” :lol:

“Why do you have a screwdriver to your ear and resting it on the engine”.. :thud :mrgreen:
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

chris moody
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T32IE
Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8
MMSI Number: 235900806

Post by chris moody » 15 Jan 2018, 18:52

I used to have a Rover P6 3500 and that had carburettors that you had to top up with oil :)
Chris Moody

Tiny Tigga - Honwave T32IE with launch wheels Honda 2hp 4 stroke air cooled & Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke
Tigga 2 - Ribcraft 4.8 Honda BF50
http://twitter.com/aslmarine

Cliff
Advanced Member
Boat Make: Highfield CL310 Rib
Outboard: tohatsu 20hp efi

Post by Cliff » 15 Jan 2018, 19:29

chris moody wrote:I used to have a Rover P6 3500 and that had carburettors that you had to top up with oil :)
They don't know they're born. Modern car manufactures should screw down the bonnets, cos most people never look under them. Yep topped up the oil regularly on the twin SU carbs of my MG Midget,( her name was bridget) Now she could shift after I stripped off the two hundred weight of rubber/steel bumpers. :drive she's still out there somewhere. pumping crap into the atmosphere :busted
96% of people are basically good, it's the 4% that f*ck up the world

Paul
Supporting Member

Post by Paul » 15 Jan 2018, 21:59

Cliff wrote:
chris moody wrote:I used to have a Rover P6 3500 and that had carburettors that you had to top up with oil :)
They don't know they're born. Modern car manufactures should screw down the bonnets, cos most people never look under them. Yep topped up the oil regularly on the twin SU carbs of my MG Midget,( her name was bridget) Now she could shift after I stripped off the two hundred weight of rubber/steel bumpers. :drive she's still out there somewhere. pumping crap into the atmosphere :busted
Shut up you two :stop
I used to PDI both of those vehicles when they were new 'back in the day' :shame :lol:

Return to “Outboards”